What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All Youtube videos are horrible:(

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
This is a "Feature".

The iPad auto changes quality depending on connection speeds.
If the video being played isn't able to lower quality for bad connections it will switch to audio only until you get better service.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is the router, Stever on this forum made a test on it. You Can search for the thread. His explanation is very informative. Seems you have to buy a new router that is compatible with the iPad's wifi.

Just did this. Comcast sent me a new one and my iPad works ten times faster.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a "Feature".

The iPad auto changes quality depending on connection speeds.
If the video being played isn't able to lower quality for bad connections it will switch to audio only until you get better service.

This makes perfect sense. You are so smart!

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel like an idiot, guys. YouTube is like HD here in my house!! Something mike said made me go and check it. Works great! So it does depend where we are....

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad you've gotten it figured out!

I can't help you with the how the 3G works, hopefully one of the guys with a 3G iPad can answer your question. I use a Verizon MiFi card and my youtube videos look like HD ALL the time.

Star56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This has been discussed to DEATH on these forums.

The Youtube App reduces the bitrate of Youtube videos when using 3G.

This has nothing to do with AT&T 3G.

If you fool your ipad into thinking it is using wifi when it is really using 3G (use Mifi or a 3G hotspot for example) the youtube videos are delivered at full bitrate.

The ABC app did the same thing when it was first released. This was fixed in an update.

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This has been discussed to DEATH on these forums.

The Youtube App reduces the bitrate of Youtube videos when using 3G.

This has nothing to do with AT&T 3G.

If you fool your ipad into thinking it is using wifi when it is really using 3G (use Mifi or a 3G hotspot for example) the youtube videos are delivered at full bitrate.

The ABC app did the same thing when it was first released. This was fixed in an update.

this.

When I tether through my phone, youtube is as pretty as can be.

Shame that the quality is too good and my 3G connection is too slow! :(

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not that your 3G is too slow, it's more of a fault in the 3G system, probably something required through AT&T. Your 3G is faster than my Verizon MiFi (I've tested 3G against my MiFi on my iPhone), yet when I'm connected through my MiFi, my iPad doesn't know the difference and though I may have to pause the video and wait for it to load the picture quality is awesome.

paydro91

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having problems with my Wi-Fi connection, or at least I think that's the problem. But anyway, when I load a video on YouTube from my iPad, it takes forever to load. However, if I use my desktop or laptop, the video loads quicker, without any problems. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was embarrassed today. I was in a meeting and we went to Youtube and all the videos were awful!

How come? I just checked the videos now, to see if they were better on my desk top and they are.

I am bummed. Am I doing something wrong?

Did you use 3G? That always give poor quality, it can't help itself.

Star56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was embarrassed today. I was in a meeting and we went to Youtube and all the videos were awful!

How come? I just checked the videos now, to see if they were better on my desk top and they are.

I am bummed. Am I doing something wrong?

Did you use 3G? That always give poor quality, it can't help itself.

Did you even read this thread? You obviously did not.

It has nothing to do with 3G.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
3G in most locations is going to be slower then WIFI, so yes it is a 3G issue. The better the speed of the connection, the better quality of the video.... that simple.

If you need to prove this for your self, get one of the speed test apps from the app store. Run in while on WIFI, run it again on 3G.... there ya have it :)

Just did mine using "Speed Test" on my 3G iPhone

3G = 1258 down 210 up
WIFI =7462 down 1039 up

All speeds kps.....

Last edited:

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have hunted, researched, called AT&T, called Apple, and complained to my friends. The end result is that when an Apple product connects to YouTube through AT&T 3g there is a throttling back of bitrates. I use a Palm pre and made fun of the iphone’s piss poor YouTube quality on many occasions.

Now how do I know it is a combination of AT&T and the YouTube app? I have jailbroken my Ipad and installed the 3g unrestrictor. It is the only jailbroken app that I have installed and it makes the Ipad think that it is on Wifi. Magically, YouTube looks perfect on 3G. My guess is it is a way for AT&T to save bandwidth and they probably agreed to a filter of some sort with Apple.

I know it is not because of a slow 3g as I get on average 2700 down 300 up in Atlanta. It is so quick that I do not even turn my WiFi on anymore.

“If they find out about the Youtube bitrate, we blew it”

That is a fake Steve Jobs quote.

Most reactions

Latest posts