What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All things German (moved posts)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction, Johanna. I could never get my head around those case structures. Very difficult. So it's dative, not genitive?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction, Johanna. I could never get my head around those case structures. Very difficult. So it's dative, not genitive?

It's dative, not accusative. It's difficult, I know. In my dialect, I could show you something to differentiate them.
Even native speakers struggle with mir and mich.

Last edited:
OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK. "Mein/meine" is genitive. No wonder I failed miserably at German when I was at school. It's a surprise I can speak English!!!

But perhaps we should have a thread in the German forum for such things?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK. "Mein/meine" is genitive. No wonder I failed miserably at German when I was at school. It's a surprise I can speak English!!!

But perhaps we should have a thread in the German forum for such things?

I corrected my comment when you posted. It's no shame failing in German, when even native speakers can't decide whether to take mir or mich. :)

Do you want me to teach German in iPF?

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You teach every day. You shouldn't do the same in your leisure time. But we could have a thread in the German section for those who are non-native speakers who would like to practice.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I corrected my comment when you posted. It's no shame failing in German, when even native speakers can't decide whether to take mir or mich. :)

Do you want me to teach German in iPF?

From my couch, in the living room.

Now with that out of the way, is German a language that can be learned with out listening to it? I would love to learn to read in it, but if it isn't technical a lot of times once I read something it takes on sound in my head as it settles into place.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
German is very phonetic. The rules of speech are dictated by the spelling, so it's possible to read a strange word, and know exactly how it is to be pronounced, which is clearly impossible in English. For instance -ie- is always pronounced "ee", while -ei- is always pronounced "I", so the word "Weil" is pronounced the same as the English word "vile".

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
German is very phonetic. The rules of speech are dictated by the spelling, so it's possible to read a strange word, and know exactly how it is to be pronounced, which is clearly impossible in English. For instance -ie- is always pronounced "ee", while -ei- is always pronounced "I", so the word "Weil" is pronounced the same as the English word "vile".

I may have mentioned this before, but...

Our niece and her husband are in Saarbrucken learning German. Our niece is going well, but hubby is struggling. The grammar and word construction are challenging for them.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I may have mentioned this before, but...

Our niece and her husband are in Saarbrucken learning German. Our niece is going well, but hubby is struggling. The grammar and word construction are challenging for them.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I can't remember you posting it before.
Yes, the German grammar is a challenge.

Last edited:
OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps, Johanna, you could start a thread in the German section that we can use, along the lines of the "Anything goes" thread in the main forum? It should be in German, but could you please give notice that some non-native speakers may contribute, so please go easy on them.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps, Johanna, you could start a thread in the German section that we can use, along the lines of the "Anything goes" thread in the main forum? It should be in German, but could you please note that some non-native speakers may contribute, so please go easy on them.

It's a long time since I started an own thread. If I struggle, I hope you'll help me.
I can't start right away. I have to wake up my daughter. We're driving to Bruck/Leitha.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bruck? I have been there. It's near Zell-am-see, right? I was skiing there many years ago. Großglockner, I believe.

Most reactions

Latest posts