What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All settings and apps return to default

Rinkis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After some time of inactivity, (5-10 min?) all my apps return to, what I can describe as default. Example: if I make a search in my Calendar, Notes, YouTube or alike, no matter if I leave it on or switch to another app, after some time of inactivity, it all return to its default state. Very inconvenient! If I find something in my Calendar and then open Notes and begin making some notes there, using information stored under one particular date (back in time) in my Calendar, after several minutes (of not having the Calendar app opened, the Calendar app will return to today's date! On my old iPad 3 (with the first OS that it came with) the Calendar would stay opened on any date that I opened it on indefinitely, that is until I myself choose to go to today's date or any other date. The same thing happens with the Notes. Sometimes I spend long time to find something there, have it opened on the screen, and I just go away for several minutes, come back and find that the Notes returned to the last note I made!
My question is very simple, how to make this stop from happening? If I open one particular note (made back in time) or one particular day (back in time) on my Calendar, on my dictionary app on one particular word, I want those apps to stay right there. How to do it?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've never noticed this behavior, though I'll be on the look out for it now.

You could try turning off Background Refresh in the general settings and see if that makes a difference.

OP
R

Rinkis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll try.... What does it do, by the way? I mean, if it's not that but something else, what I might expect to happen if that Background Refresh will be turned off?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
With iOS 7, apps are allowed to update in the background if the developer enables it. With Background Refresh disabled most apps will only refresh, update their contents, when you open them. I don't really expect this to help with your problem, but it was the only thing I could think of.

OP
R

Rinkis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again, I'll try it right away!

OP
R

Rinkis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, it didn't help. Same thing, the Calendar gets back to today's date. The Notes doesn't seen to be affected, yet....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. Then I'm afraid I don't know of a way to change this behavior. I noticed that my Calendar app also changed back to the current date; but it is not the native app and it was more than 12 hours between checks, so that may not mean anything. Also, I do have background refresh turned on for it.

The way I use my iPad, this behavior is mostly convenient; as I rarely want an app in it's last state for more than a few minutes.

Sorry not to have a solution for you.

OP
R

Rinkis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No worries, thanks anyway. Tomorrow I might want to ask about that behavior in my local apple store, we'll see if they can help me. Otherwise, I'll have to live with it :)

Most reactions

Latest posts