What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All iPad Resolutions

liamb2001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys, i just got the latest iPad 4th generation and decided to build a wallpaper website dedicated to iPad & iPhone wallpapers but it's turning out its a lot harder than i thought when it comes to the actual iPad Resolutions, ive been discussing this with my friend and he thinks ive got it wrong

Whenever i download iPad Wallpapers on the net i used to look for 1024x1024 wallpapers for my 1st generation ipad but now look for 2048x2048 or Retina iPad Wallpapers but it my mate has been telling me that on the 1st generation ipad 1 the resolution for portrait view is 768x1024 for landscape its 1024x768 and the 1024x1024 is a kind of a middle ground, and on the latest ipad 4 instead of 2048x2048 in portrait is 1536x2048 and landscape its 2048x1536, can anyone confirm this for me ??

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You and your friend are both right - depending on what you want to do. :)

The best wallpaper for an iPad is a square and either 1024 x 1024 for the iPad1/2 and 2048 x 2048 for the retina iPads. That's because the iPads can rotate, so you'll need the square.

The absolute very best wallpaper is the square size one with the design as centered as possible (so, when rotated, it appears the same in both portrait and landscape).

Now, if you don't plan on rotating your iPad, then having the wallpaper in the dimensions you mentioned for landscape or portrait mode will be fine. Just know that when you DO rotate the iPad, the image will be skewed and out of proportion.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

P.S. And if I may be so bold - when creating a web site of other people's wallpaper designs - do ensure you properly attribute the designer for each picture you post...

OP
L

liamb2001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh thanks for clearing that up, do you think im best just doing the following then ?

1024x1024 - iPad 1,2 & Mini
2048x2048 - iPad Retina

do you think thats the best way to do it then ?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. That way, anyone who wants copies of your wallpaper will have the ability to view them in either portrait or landscape. Again, because it rotates, the best shape for iPad wallpaper is a rectangle.

Marilyn

OP
L

liamb2001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that Maryln i appreciate it :)

Am i missing any iphone or ipad resolutions ? Ferrari-458 - HD Wallpaper :: Retina Wallpaper for iPhone & iPad
PS i took your advice on mentioning any publisher, ive got my developer integrating a name and link to publisher underneath the descriptions as we speak

Yes. That way, anyone who wants copies of your wallpaper will have the ability to view them in either portrait or landscape. Again, because it rotates, the best shape for iPad wallpaper is a rectangle.

Marilyn

Most reactions