What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All Archive problem in Mail app on my iPad 4

don29002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
This is my first thread on the iPad Forums site!

Now that the business is out of the way:

I have iOS 10.2 on an iPad 4, and I've noticed that my All Archive tab doesn't display the full number of emails I have. I have over 2.2 million emails over all my accounts, and All Archive only displays 42,000.

I also have an iPhone 4. My iPhone displays all my emails without a problem.

On my iPad, I've tried deleting the Mail app, reinstalling it, and restoring mail to all my email addresses (that didn't work); doing a network reset (which fixed the issue of my mail app crashing, but not the All Archive issue).
Someone on the Apple Discussions forum said I should go to All Inboxes and do some stuff there.
Which didn't work.

Does anyone have any more solutions for me? How can I fix this?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've deleted the second post made by you on this topic as multiple threads on the same topic can fragment any resulting conversations, making them hard to follow as well as being against our rules.

Have you tried deleting the email account from the iPad and re-installing it?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What is your account type and/or provider? What you can do depends on whether the account is IMAP or Exchange, and might depend on provider-side settings (though I'm not aware of any).

Or, given the number of emails, it might even be a limitation of the iPad's Mail app. Though this would be the first time I've heard of that happening.

BTW, deleting the Mail app doesn't really delete it, just the icon, all your accounts, and a few catches. It's just effective to delete and re-add the problem account.

OP
D

don29002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've deleted the second post made by you on this topic as multiple threads on the same topic can fragment any resulting conversations, making them hard to follow as well as being against our rules.

Have you tried deleting the email account from the iPad and re-installing it?
Yes. And nothing changed. I've tried that twice now.

OP
D

don29002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is your account type and/or provider? What you can do depends on whether the account is IMAP or Exchange, and might depend on provider-side settings (though I'm not aware of any).

Or, given the number of emails, it might even be a limitation of the iPad's Mail app. Though this would be the first time I've heard of that happening.

BTW, deleting the Mail app doesn't really delete it, just the icon, all your accounts, and a few catches. It's just effective to delete and re-add the problem account.
I have a Gmail account. And it's an IMAP account.
Perhaps that's the issue. My Gmail app and Gmail on my laptop both say I have 690k emails, when I really have 2.2 million emails and counting.
But, I was told that someone else with iOS 10 has the same problem that I'm having, except they got barely any emails on their device.
I've tried deleting my account and adding it again. Nothing changes.

OP
D

don29002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've also tried using other apps. Email EasilyDo is the one I prefer the most, out of all the ones I've used, but it crashes constantly. I've emailed and tweeted the company so much. They've tried to help me, but now they don't respond to my emails.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thinking it over, I'm wondering if it's a limit of the Mail app, and possibly most other email apps. Two million is a 'lot' of emails. The iPad wouldn't' store all of those locally in the Archive folder, far less thant that actually. It normally stores what it thinks you may need locally, and the rest would just be headers.

Even the number of headers may be limited. Typically when you start scrolling down an a folder in Mail you come to a point where the iPad tells you it is loading more; which more or less proves that they are not all on the iPad to begin with.

Anyway, the short of it is that I don't know why Mail isn't working properly, or how to fix it. You've doen everything I would normally try.

I recommend you try the Gmail app, also take a peak through Safari at the Gmail site. Either of those should give you a better view of the archive folder than any third party app, including Mail.

Most reactions

Latest posts