What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All About Music And Recording

ejbpesca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes..live gig with ipad

My maiden voyage of my Ipad2 with $5 Garage Band app happened a week ago and my next experiment with it will be this weekend playing a live gig.

I have used Garage Band to sequence instrument tracks for a back up band as I do my guitar/sing thing.

I have four songs into it now and compared to my old total digi gear this little thing works wonders. I think the sounds are actually recordings..samples of real instruments not just created from programming data to sound like an instrument.

I'm so excited about this ipad potential for my live show I just purchased a holder for it that will attach to a goose neck then to a mike stand so I can control it from my bar stool as I play. I will also use it to read my words for songs. bye bye..music stand with papers all in disarray.

I just found another device that interfaces to the ipad with Garage Band and allows XLR inputs, 1/4 inch inputs and outputs..i think..to turn Garage Band and Ipad into a tiny recording studio.

I cannot tell you how great this is to be released from my Korg X3 music work station and Roland PMA 5 all because Apple got very musicky with the Ipad.

My tracks I lay down are very easy to play. By using various modes I am now the best drummer, keyboardist, and bass player I've ever had in a band of humans.

And get this. I run this all into a tiny PA by Bose. The bigger the PA the bigger this sound is. Put it through a medium size Mackie system and you would swear that is a band playing. I also use the Ipad and Pandora for break music. I make it a game with the audience to guess what musician will come up next, name that song, name that musician...all done over wifi.

Yes..I was many decades ago a purist of sorts...Gibson guitar straight into amps, not even a distortion peddle but I've gone gear head. Between a looper, voice effects, the ipad, and a Tascam field recorder I have a traveling wonder of electronics that fits into a trunk of a car and cost pennies on the dollar of what this stuff once did.

The best thing about Garage Band is that the sounds are sampled not just thin midi files. I think when the B3 hits a chord it is a B3 playing..recorded. Just amazing.

Once you start sequencing with Garage Band ideas will come to you like crazy of how a one man band can be just that...a band. I mix it up with mostly me and my guitar but you should see the audience's faces when I finish out a song with a full band backing me up.

It has brought me out of mothballs. May change my name from Cut Bait almost Live to Max iPad..noo that won't work.

You would think I'm a salesman for this stuff. I'm not. I'm a retired old rocker just very excited about all this new fangled stuff.

MacVaio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey ejbpesca all the best with your gig. ;)
Meanwhile these days I was happy to grab a couple of free codes for synths that are incredible fat and tweekable: check sometime Electronic Piano Synthesizer and Addictive Synth.
They are great for electronic musicians and aficionados. iPad is the bomb for us.
Also a free (still for a couple days) soundtoy for pop electro and loops that is a visual joy: RGBSOUND. Got to love that!

Mac is now ready to have coffee, black plz!

keen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lyrics?

Congrats, you seem to have arrived where I want to go, but I'm in Chicago. How do you have lyrics displayed on they ipad as the song goes along?

ejbpesca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Steps for lyric display with iPad and notebook app

I really need to get a WP app to do this but for now just using note book free app that comes with iPad.

1. Find lyrics by web search
2 copy and paste to notebook

Or...

1. Bring up your lyrics on laptop..mine are in works files
2 copy and paste to new email
3 send to yourself
4 bring up email on iPad
5 copy paste to notebook .....no more little light, no more flimsy music stand and thank g no more sheets of paper falling all over the place..it is a miracle

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One idea if you're using the ipad to display lyrics is to save them as a PDF with big fonts then display that - now you can skip pages with a swipe of your finger.
Just don't forget to turn off the power save/screen blank setting!

The iKlip is pretty good to hold your ipad on a mic stand. I've got one and am happy with it.

Intrigued by the stand on a gooseneck... What are you using to attach it?

retexan599

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has probably been mentioned here before, but if you paste the lyrics into the Lyrics tab in the Get Info section of the song in iTunes on your PC, the lyrics will appear on the cover art when playing in the iPod app on the iPad. I started doing this and it seems pretty cool to me.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

ejbpesca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The four point iPad holder I ordered from parts express is made to attach to a mike stand with the standard been here for ever thrreaded pipe. Just put on a goose neck and you may have the stand away from you as you use a boom for. Also, I plan to lie on my back in bed and watch net flicks with the iPad suspended over me in mid air. I'll just take the mike clip off the stand and attach the iPod holder.

Really...there will be no more lighted music stands in orchestras someday just like the kindle shutting down books stores so will tablets shut down sheet music...and with a foot controller to turn the pages....hooray.

Manchoa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.catarsis.eu
hi.

i just bough behringer uca-222 usb audiointerface for my ipad2 and really happy with it. Connects via Camera Connection Kit, no need for external power source, gives you studio quality stereo line in and line out via rca connectors and phones out to monitor your recording. Clen and noiseless, connect any profi mixer or other profi audio gear directly to your ipad ! Price ? about 30 eur.

Sent from Tommy's iPad2 using iPF

roccotanto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
has anyone played an actual bar gig with Amplitube yet?

I am really dying to try it out -- just unsure about getting the Apogee JAM or the much more functional ALesis IO unit.

i have been using high tech modelers and non traditional guitar rigs since 1996 both live at gigs and in the studio.

i just think the Ipad plugged into the ALesis IO would be incredible onstage....gotta try them!

Pat100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
USB Mic Adapters

I'm so loving using the GarageBand on my iPad2!
I thought I didn't need my other recording gear (Tascam digi studio and a AKG Perception 220 condenser mic) so tried selling them online (I'm in New Zealand). But, as yet no one wants to buy them. I got the portastudio 2 yrs ago and the mic last year, but I see the portastudio is now superseded. So with money being tight I guess people don't want to spend so I'll hold on to them - I don't want to give them away!

But, that's kind of beside the point because it was only last night, after having the iPad for about 6 week, that I finally thought there must be a way to convert the mic to USB. So I did some research and so far found Blue's Icicle Mic adapter, but according to one revier it appears it doesn't work with iPad.

Also, I found Shure's X2u - XLR to USB adapter but someone has said it doesn't work when switched to 48v, makes the iPad go crazy.

I've got an SM58 which would work with the Shure adapter, but I'd love to be able to use the AKG too. I know I'll need to get the camera connection kit and a powered USB hub, so are there any other adapters out there.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought I didn't need my other recording gear (Tascam digi studio and a AKG Perception 220 condenser mic) so tried selling them online (I'm in New Zealand). But, as yet no one wants to buy them. I got the portastudio 2 yrs ago and the mic last year, but I see the portastudio is now superseded. So with money being tight I guess people don't want to spend so I'll hold on to them - I don't want to give them away!

But, that's kind of beside the point because it was only last night, after having the iPad for about 6 week, that I finally thought there must be a way to convert the mic to USB. So I did some research and so far found Blue's Icicle Mic adapter, but according to one revier it appears it doesn't work with iPad.

Also, I found Shure's X2u - XLR to USB adapter but someone has said it doesn't work when switched to 48v, makes the iPad go crazy.

I've got an SM58 which would work with the Shure adapter, but I'd love to be able to use the AKG too. I know I'll need to get the camera connection kit and a powered USB hub, so are there any other adapters out there.

Thanks
AFAIK there's no way to use any USB adapter with the iPad as you describe. Plus the iPad requires something it recognizes as an actual microphone input or it will keep the external mic on.

Here is a pretty decent article discussing how to set up the iPad up for audio recording...

External Microphones for iPhone 4, iPad and iPod Touch Audio input | Life is a Prayer.com

Also, I'm not sure if Garage Band is the best app for what you're trying to do. I've read a couple of positive posts about these apps..

MultiTrack DAW for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

StudioTrack for iPad on the iTunes App Store

This company sells a mic specifically made for the iPad...

iRig Mic

I'm sure there's other apps, equipment and more options so others folks may have some additional advice.

Welcome to the forum and hope that helps!

Pat100

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks
AFAIK there's no way to use any USB adapter with the iPad as you describe. Plus the iPad requires something it recognizes as an actual microphone input or it will keep the external mic on.

Here is a pretty decent article discussing how to set up the iPad up for audio recording...

External Microphones for iPhone 4, iPad and iPod Touch Audio input | Life is a Prayer.com

Also, I'm not sure if Garage Band is the best app for what you're trying to do. I've read a couple of positive posts about these apps..

iRig Mic

I'm sure there's other apps, equipment and more options so others folks may have some additional advice.

Thanks for the info, Rich.

I found this tutorial on youtube:
Shure X2u, Camera Connection Kit | Record on iPad with StudioMini XL
(I can't post the actual link yet)
It shows one way to set up the Shure X2u with iPad using a powered USB hub. It looks interesting, still not sure if it would work with my condenser mic even though it should in theory.

I've had a look at the two apps you suggested, they both look good so I'll read up on them.

I want to pursue the USB adapter option furtherbefore I have to resort to buying something like the iRig mic. Been checking out Blue Mics, the Snowball and the Yeti so they are an option too.

Cheers.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks

iRig Mic

Thanks for the info, Rich.

I found this tutorial on youtube:
Shure X2u, Camera Connection Kit | Record on iPad with StudioMini XL
(I can't post the actual link yet)
It shows one way to set up the Shure X2u with iPad using a powered USB hub. It looks interesting, still not sure if it would work with my condenser mic even though it should in theory.

I've had a look at the two apps you suggested, they both look good so I'll read up on them.

I want to pursue the USB adapter option furtherbefore I have to resort to buying something like the iRig mic. Been checking out Blue Mics, the Snowball and the Yeti so they are an option too.

Cheers.
Interesting stuff! Let us know how you get on.

Here's the YouTube Video for anyone interested...

Last edited by a moderator:

Manchoa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.catarsis.eu
Pat100 said:

Thanks

i use camera connection kit with behringer uca222 and connect stereo output of my mixing board to stereo input og behringer interface.

Sent from Tommy's iPad2 using iPF

ejbpesca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it true that the 3.5 mm jack on an iPad is both an input and output port?

Most reactions

Latest posts