What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All About Music And Recording

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having a few connection problems with the irig. In the setup menu, the only way I can get sound out is to enable the built in mic on my iPad. Is this right,? It picks up background noise, so I'm guessing not. If i disable it, I get no sound through phones or amp.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Odd. I tried using the guitar cable I bought separately and it works. Amplitube asks whether I'm using speakers or headphones. I'm wondering if I have a duff irig. In fact, I'm wondering why I bought it as the cable does the same thing. Add a 3.5mm jack adaptor to one end and I can plug straight into any source I like.

hoopy1888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks, has anyone successfully imported a tune from iTunes into GarageBand?
Doin some distance collaborating with my friend and he has recorded a guitar track using irig. He has saved as .m4a
It plays fine in the iPod section of iPad 2 but when I go to 'import from itunes' on GarageBand it says there is no songs available.
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Or can you only import other GarageBand files?
Thanks guys

Williebye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hoopy1888 said:
Doin some distance collaborating with my friend and he has recorded a guitar track using irig. He has saved as .m4a
It plays fine in the iPod section of iPad 2 but when I go to 'import from itunes' on GarageBand it says there is no songs available.
Thanks guys

Ok I'm not sure if I'll relay this correct but I did it a few days ago for the first time with a little trial and error.
I made the tune on iPad GarageBand. It contained 6 tracks of mic recording only.( waiting for my Apogee Jam)
I exported it through iTunes instead of the regular email. The email makes then.m4a iTunes use but can't be edited in IPad or iMac GarageBand because it's not the correct format. Choose to send it through iTunes but select GarageBand as the format. GarageBand use a file format of .band
It is like a folder which includes all the data and separate tracks but only shows up as "your tune .band"
I cant reproduce it right now because I'm on vacation but I think you can find it on your iTunes library or iMac GarageBand library. Do a spotlight search and locate where GarageBand stores its files. What I then did was copy it to a USB stick and when I visited my friend I placed it into his GarageBand folder on his new iMac. If you get so far as to locate your .band file you can use a free app called Team Viewer to send it to him.

Team viewer has versions for Mac as well as Windows. It is a free program for private use. You both run the program and since you are sending, he tells you his ip address and currently generated password by Team Viewer. You enter this info your Team Viewer display after selecting send file.
It might take some time as the .band file can be large.

Good Luck,
Williebye

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's Spot On

hoopy1888 said:
Thanks guys

Ok I'm not sure if I'll relay this correct but I did it a few days ago for the first time with a little trial and error.
I made the tune on iPad GarageBand. It contained 6 tracks of mic recording only.( waiting for my Apogee Jam)
I exported it through iTunes instead of the regular email. The email makes then.m4a iTunes use but can't be edited in IPad or iMac GarageBand because it's not the correct format. Choose to send it through iTunes but select GarageBand as the format. GarageBand use a file format of .band
It is like a folder which includes all the data and separate tracks but only shows up as "your tune .band"
I cant reproduce it right now because I'm on vacation but I think you can find it on your iTunes library or iMac GarageBand library. Do a spotlight search and locate where GarageBand stores its files. What I then did was copy it to a USB stick and when I visited my friend I placed it into his GarageBand folder on his new iMac. If you get so far as to locate your .band file you can use a free app called Team Viewer to send it to him.

Team viewer has versions for Mac as well as Windows. It is a free program for private use. You both run the program and since you are sending, he tells you his ip address and currently generated password by Team Viewer. You enter this info your Team Viewer display after selecting send file.
It might take some time as the .band file can be large.

Good Luck,
Williebye

I have done this too, and it works fine. Have yet to try with Amplitube, but assume the process will be the same!

Jeff

Williebye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vintage90 said:
I have done this too, and it works fine. Have yet to try with Amplitube, but assume the process will be the same!

Jeff

I haven't downloaded Amplitube yet but will try it out shortly. I was looking at their site yesterday after reading your recommendation. It really looks nice. A question on when you run your guitar through iPad taking advantage of it's modeling effects, but into your real amp. If your real amp also has modeling effects, how would you set it up to get the realistic NEW effects from iPad?

Willie

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Williebye said:
I haven't downloaded Amplitube yet but will try it out shortly. I was looking at their site yesterday after reading your recommendation. It really looks nice. A question on when you run your guitar through iPad taking advantage of it's modeling effects, but into your real amp. If your real amp also has modeling effects, how would you set it up to get the realistic NEW effects from iPad?

Willie

Experiment! But I find the effects available in Amplitube are as good as pedals. Remember, you get one freebie when you register, and then fx for Fender and others are available for £1.79 I have bought a couple and they are great. You will need a 3.5mm to standard guitar cable for use from the headphone socket on the irig.

Let us know when you get set up. I'm using a Fender blues combo valve amp, and the sound is great...Beats GarageBand hands down. I have yet to try my base, keyboard, 12 string, or mics. Plenty to explore:)

UkiahBass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A/D interface for iPad multitrack recording

So I've got this iPad app called MultiTrack DAW. It records up to eight tracks using the iPad as a control surface and recorder in WAV format. An upgrade permits 24 tracks. Anyone have advice on how to take advantage of this capability? My band needs a minimum of five inputs, preferably more.

There's a cool interface called iO Dock from Alesis for iPad but it has just two inputs.

There's also the Lexicon Omega with 4 simultaneous track recording:

Any other portable options with more ports to recommend? I heard there's a 2-port limit for simultaneous recording through the iPad USB port? Can anyone clarify? Thanks for suggestions!

Last edited:
OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you need to simultaneously record, then you need a desk to be honest. I use a 64 track Roland, but am not sure about the app you are using. I bounce tracks into the desk using the software and converter that works with Roland kit. If you want a track per band member, then hire me! :)

I'm cheap and friendly kit includes Rode studio mics bass and Fender lead amps stands I sing, play Bass, lead and acoustic 12 and 6 string mix, and produce a cd / DVD ( video also available) tea, coffee, and food also available! I hope this shameless ad won't get me kicked off the forum!

I cant think of an app that will multiple track with the iPad, but building is possible with Amplitube.

UkiahBass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's the thing: we don't want to build songs. We want to record them well as they are played live in performance. I'm using an Audio Technica AT-825 stereo mic into a Marantz solid state recorder in WAV format. It's working pretty well, but you can never get rid of audience or venue noise. I'm looking at iPad as a cheap-and-easy way to do mobile multitracking.

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm working on it looking at apps but to be honest, the studio kit is best for what you want....Use Rode mics myself and they do work with the iPad, but need the Beringer phantom power add on. By the time you buy all the iPad kit, you might be better of considering a secondhand desk?

Williebye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vintage90 said:
Experiment! But I find the effects available in Amplitube are as good as pedals. Remember, you get one freebie when you register, and then fx for Fender and others are available for £1.79 I have bought a couple and they are great. You will need a 3.5mm to standard guitar cable for use from the headphone socket on the irig.

Let us know when you get set up. I'm using a Fender blues combo valve amp, and the sound is great...Beats GarageBand hands down. I have yet to try my base, keyboard, 12 string, or mics. Plenty to explore:)

Well even though I'm away and have no plugin or guitar to play I bought amplitube and added a couple of the packages as well. If it sounds just half as good as it looks I will have a renewed interest in picking up and playing again. I've never plated in a band and only played in front of a real audience three times. It will be very exciting. I looked at the iRig and it costs as much too ship as it is to buy so I will wait got Apogee to begin distributing. I notice that Apogee hooks up to the standard iPad input whereas the iRig uses the earphone out jack. I'm surprised that iPad had a sort of hidden input source.

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Irig

Vintage90 said:

Well even though I'm away and have no plugin or guitar to play I bought amplitube and added a couple of the packages as well. If it sounds just half as good as it looks I will have a renewed interest in picking up and playing again. I've never plated in a band and only played in front of a real audience three times. It will be very exciting. I looked at the iRig and it costs as much too ship as it is to buy so I will wait got Apogee to begin distributing. I notice that Apogee hooks up to the standard iPad input whereas the iRig uses the earphone out jack. I'm surprised that iPad had a sort of hidden input source.

The irig is not the only way to connect. Amazon do a splitter cable that does the job just as well. I bought both, but the cable is better, the Irig is akward to use as it sits too close to the input jack.

On the sound front, Yes, it sounds as good as it looks, you won't be disappointed! :D

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vintage90 said:
The irig is not the only way to connect. Amazon do a splitter cable that does the job just as well. I bought both, but the cable is better, the Irig is akward to use as it sits too close to the input jack.

On the sound front, Yes, it sounds as good as it looks, you won't be disappointed! :D

That'll be the Griffin Guitar Connect?

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure how public this is yet but there's a new standalone touchscreen multitrack recorder/ digital effects unit in development - search for Dark Matter Audio.

Not ipad related but very impressive kit, due to launch later this year.

Most reactions

Latest posts