What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All About Music And Recording

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Useful Stuff

Vintage90 said:
You can, since you are going to be ahead of me with your kit, keep us posted! A question: I was just on Amazon looking at the kit, and they show a mic. As well. I use Rode NTC pro mica, but these need phantom power. Any ideas on how I can get them to work with Amplitube? I don't want to buy that cheap mic.

Cables for guitars and bass, I will need and the unit itself. I play a Strat, a Fender precision pro bass, Yamaha Compass Acoustic electric 12 string, and would also like to use my Roland EXR 5 keyboard.

Phew, this may take some setting up :)

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Behringer do a phantom power box that you plug into the mains and this box provides the phantom power to the mic!

I'm sure it also has other outputs rather than just xlr so you could plug the mic into the box then use a guitar cable to plug into irig!

Don't quote me on this though as I'm only assuming! Although behringer definitely make a phantom power box!

Thanks for that. my desk provides phantom power as well, but that box would do the trick. xlr on my bass amp should work, but will have to wait until I have all the gear here. I have a pair of top end Genelec studio monitors that I will also work into the equation. Funny, I thought this would actually reduce the amount of cabling that I normally use :D

Looks like more gaffa tape!!!

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apogee

I'm pretty sure you can use the camera connection kit to plug a USB mic (or usb midi keyboards) into the ipad which opens up loads more options... I'm hoping to try it with an avid pre-amp with USB outputs so I can use my existing mics. Or maybe something like the Blue icicle coupled with a battery powered phantom source.

There's also a very cool new adaptor product from Apogee which is essentially a pro version of the irig (although it uses the dock connector instead of the headphone/mic socket) - I'll dig out a link if I can.

Thanks for the information, I have several local suppliers and have decided to have a look to make sure I've got it all..... Nothing worse than finding out your one cable short when you get it all out :)

I'm going to get advice about the active pre-amp in my 12 string too. Will stick to my Rode mics, they pro studio with eq and gain controls on the mic itself.... Can't see a Ă‚ÂŁ39.00 offering beating them. Looking forward to getting it all up and running, and interfacing the desk with it all!

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Trouble is when you're a budding guitarist and it's a passion of yours, you can end up spending an absolute shed load of cash on crap that, a lot of the times, you'll shelve or never use. But it'll make you happy :)

My guitar based bits and bobs collection could probably pay off my mortgage if I sold it all, and that's not including the real important bits :eek:

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Over The Years

Trouble is when you're a budding guitarist and it's a passion of yours, you can end up spending an absolute shed load of cash on crap that, a lot of the times, you'll shelve or never use. But it'll make you happy :)

My guitar based bits and bobs collection could probably pay off my mortgage if I sold it all, and that's not including the real important bits :eek:

I have collected SO much stuff I could open a music shop. The list is huge, but apart from the guitars, keyboards mixing and recording equipment, FX pedals and footswitches mike stands etc. etc. (and that's just the living room) The bedroom is full of amplification: Marshall, Fender, Vox

But it's all in use, and I need it! :D

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
Amplitude is full of inbuilt options and in-app purchases to enable the budding musician to do basically whatever he or she wishes (including a multi track recording facility). Yup, in-app purchases; I know this is a dirty word to a lot of people, but personally I've nothing wrong with the idea, especially in such a highly polish pro piece of kitt such as this.

Ah, but will it stack up against Cubase, and my 64 track Roland? Can't wait to find out.

Jeff

I don’t think it will keep up with Cubase 6 in 64-bit mode with Snow Leopard, it won’t handle 24-bit 192kHz projects, and Symphobia won’t even run on it! *:)

But the iPad 2 still rocks for 16-bit 44.1 audio. *My Blue Yeti Pro mic (with the camera connection kit) sounds great, and I can overdub tracks with zero latency through the Yeti’s built-in USB audio interface.

If you’re serious, and willing to blow a whole $19 you can buy the Meteor 12-track audio mixer/processor/recorder. *It just came on the market and has amazing pro capabilities...

News: 04 May 2011 - Meteor Multi Track Recorder for Apple iPad - Available TODAY

Shaunyshaun1234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's finally here!

My iPad 2 has finally arrived! Just beed to finish work and go play!

Garage band will be the first app I download!

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Yeti Pro USB is a great mic... We sell loads of them so they're pretty popular! The Blue Snowballs are pretty cool too (but the Yeti Pro is better), or if you're looking at other brands the Audio Technica 2020 USB is getting good feeback too.

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
incapete said:
The Yeti Pro USB is a great mic... We sell loads of them so they're pretty popular! The Blue Snowballs are pretty cool too (but the Yeti Pro is better), or if you're looking at other brands the Audio Technica 2020 USB is getting good feeback too.

Forgive me for sounding slightly sceptical, but are you really saying that these mics have the dynamic range and capabilities of a Rode NTC? I don't mind spending the money, but can't see how they could match a studio quality mic costing Ă‚ÂŁ250 plus :)

Jeff

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The guitar cable arrived this morning. I won't get the irig for a couple of days. Does GarageBand support guitar input? I know it does mics. but not sure about plugging in a guitar. Anyone tried this?

Jeff

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The cable works fine with GarageBand, although expecting a lot more from Amplitube!

Jeff

Williebye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If any of you are like me and waiting for a local music vendor to carry the Apogee Jam for your iMac and iPad here is a response I received from them the other day:

Williebye

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam.php

Hello, Thanks for contacting Apogee.

Will, We have yet to ship JAM's, actually to be accurate, we shipped a very small number to Apple stores in the USA. They used them to fulfill a small amount of pre sales. We will not be shipping JAM's until June , it possible another small amount may become available but unlikely.
Why the delay ? we identified an issue with one of the cable's supplied with JAM, the product itself is good to go. Now that the cable has been sorted out we are in full production.

I am adding you to the email announcement list.

best regards and thansk for the patience.

Jeremy

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good News

If any of you are like me and waiting for a local music vendor to carry the Apogee Jam for your iMac and iPad here is a response I received from them the other day:

Williebye

Apogee Jam - Studio quality guitar input for iPad, iPhone and Mac

Hello, Thanks for contacting Apogee.

Will, We have yet to ship JAM's, actually to be accurate, we shipped a very small number to Apple stores in the USA. They used them to fulfill a small amount of pre sales. We will not be shipping JAM's until June , it possible another small amount may become available but unlikely.
Why the delay ? we identified an issue with one of the cable's supplied with JAM, the product itself is good to go. Now that the cable has been sorted out we are in full production.

I am adding you to the email announcement list.

best regards and thansk for the patience.

Jeremy

Keep us posted when you get a reply :)

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
incapete said:

Forgive me for sounding slightly sceptical, but are you really saying that these mics have the dynamic range and capabilities of a Rode NTC? I don't mind spending the money, but can't see how they could match a studio quality mic costing Ă‚ÂŁ250 plus :)

You'll probably need to use your own ears to determine this. I can only speak to the Yeti Pro and it compares very well to higher end mics.

It's 24-bit, 192 kHz with a 114dB s/n ratio. This is overkill for the iPad as it will only do 16-bit/44.1kHz. I use it at 24-bit 96kHz with Cubase 6 and my Mac Pro. It's a Great sounding mic, dead quiet and extremely sensitive. For a home project mic it covers a lot of ground since it has 4 selectable pick up patterns: cardioid, bidirectional, omnidirectional and stereo, and has an XLR output. The built-in 24-bit 192kHz USB audio interface allows for zero latency monitoring and very high quality playback through powered reference speakers.

It's very solid and looks very retro-cool!

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
You'll probably need to use your own ears to determine this. I can only speak to the Yeti Pro and it compares very well to higher end mics.

It's 24-bit, 192 kHz with a 114dB s/n ratio. This is overkill for the iPad as it will only do 16-bit/44.1kHz. I use it at 24-bit 96kHz with Cubase 6 and my Mac Pro. It's a Great sounding mic, dead quiet and extremely sensitive. For a home project mic it covers a lot of ground since it has 4 selectable pick up patterns: cardioid, bidirectional, omnidirectional and stereo, and has an XLR output. The built-in 24-bit 192kHz USB audio interface allows for zero latency monitoring and very high quality playback through powered reference speakers.

It's very solid and looks very retro-cool!

I will keep it in mind, but will go with my Rode's first.....Still waiting for my irig, Apple store wanted Ă‚ÂŁ39 Amazon Ă‚ÂŁ21 the guitar cable was 19.99 someone is getting rich! Apple don't even stock them, at least not here in Cardiff. Hoping to have things all together by Saturday. Have posted a few pics on my profile section if interested :)

Jeff

Most reactions

Latest posts