What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airstash or Other Options

enron29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, first post here. I know there is a search, but I'm hoping this is the best and more direct way to get some answers. I have a 16GB iPad 2. I went the 16GB route thinking there would be an alternative to adding storage. I will be taking a trip upcoming, and now I'm looking for the best way to achieve this.

I will primarily being using this for music and movies. I don't really use the iPad for files or documents. So is Airstash the best and cheapest way to go? Is 64GB really the maximum SD card that you can use? Are you able to charge it off the iPad or are there any car chargers for it?

Are there any better options that would work that would cost around the same $100 that the Airstash costs?

Thanks for any advice and answers.

Lusid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Airstash would work, but you need to also stock up on large sd cards.

With some creative file renaming you could just use the sd cards and the CCK adapter, but you have to copy movies into the photo app to watch them.

There are also 2 hard drive options:
Hyperdrive for ipad, which connects over USB, goes in via the photo app as well. Think of it as a hard drive version of the CCK.

Goflex Satellite, works like airstash but has a 500gig hard drive build in. The only downside is it hasn't actually shipped yet. If it ships before your trip, this is probably the best choice.

OP
E

enron29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Airstash would work, but you need to also stock up on large sd cards.

With some creative file renaming you could just use the sd cards and the CCK adapter, but you have to copy movies into the photo app to watch them.

There are also 2 hard drive options:
Hyperdrive for ipad, which connects over USB, goes in via the photo app as well. Think of it as a hard drive version of the CCK.

Goflex Satellite, works like airstash but has a 500gig hard drive build in. The only downside is it hasn't actually shipped yet. If it ships before your trip, this is probably the best choice.

Thanks for the response. I do have the CCK already. And I have a 500GB external hard drive. What do you mean by renaming? So hyperdrives would be the best because you can just get one large one and it doesn't need to be charged, right? But those are expensive, right? Thanks again.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
32 gigs is max with Airstash

But that remains, by far, the most economical selection and is very small, easy to carry/stash. 32 gig cards are cheap, a lot cheaper than hard disk drives and far less sensitive to shock as well. One 32 gig card will hold 19-20 movies, 3000 songs or so, and tons of photos.

If you need to carry more, pop in another 32 gig card. You need to be planning an extremely boring trip to need to carry that much entertainment with you.

OP
E

enron29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But that remains, by far, the most economical selection and is very small, easy to carry/stash. 32 gig cards are cheap, a lot cheaper than hard disk drives and far less sensitive to shock as well. One 32 gig card will hold 19-20 movies, 3000 songs or so, and tons of photos.

If you need to carry more, pop in another 32 gig card. You need to be planning an extremely boring trip to need to carry that much entertainment with you.

Agree. I already have some SD cards. And the case I have for my iPad has a pocket, so I can just store multiple SD cards in their cases in that. So it looks like you have an Airstash. Do you have any issues with it? Is the streaming pretty seamless without any hesitation? Also, any answers on being able to charge the Airstash in the car? If it's just charged through USB, can I just get a charger that will do so in the car?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
enron29 said:
Can someone please explain to me why this is different than the external hard drive I have?

It creates it's own wireless connection to the iPad (no cable needed), runs on a battery so it is portable, and has it's own app so you don't have to jaibreak or play other games to get at the content. And it probably costs more.

OP
E

enron29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
enron29 said:
Can someone please explain to me why this is different than the external hard drive I have?

It creates it's own wireless connection to the iPad (no cable needed), runs on a battery so it is portable, and has it's own app so you don't have to jaibreak or play other games to get at the content. And it probably costs more.

It looks like I could get a 750gb one for $80 from Amazon according to the link above. Am I wrong? Are there pretty reliable? Seagate is a pretty big company, right?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It looks like I could get a 750gb one for $80 from Amazon according to the link above. Am I wrong? Are there pretty reliable? Seagate is a pretty big company, right?

Huh! They only come in 500 GB. I rechecked my link and something happend to it. This is the drive I'm talking about.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/external-hard-drive/goflex-satellite

Now, I'll go back and fix the original link.

Grrr, for some reason when the site auto-adds the URL tag it keeps redirecting. I'm trying workarounds now. Ok, that fixed it.

Last edited:
OP
E

enron29

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Huh! They only come in 500 GB. I rechecked my link and something happend to it. This is the drive I'm talking about.

GoFlex Satellite Wireless | Seagate

Now, I'll go back and fix the original link.

Grrr, for some reason when the site auto-adds the URL tag it keeps redirecting. I'm trying workarounds now. Ok, that fixed it.

I think this link still sends me to the same thing as before.

Ok, I think I found the right one. So when are they suppose to be available?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Sorry. No idea why it keeps doing that. You want the GoFlex Satellite, not the FreeAgent drive. I have no idea when they will be available. I just saw the announcement a few days ago and thought it was worth mentioning as an option. I hadn't realized it was sill pending.

OP
E

enron29

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Sorry. No idea why it keeps doing that. You want the GoFlex Satellite, not the FreeAgent drive. I have no idea when they will be available. I just saw the announcement a few days ago and thought it was worth mentioning as an option. I hadn't realized it was sill pending.

Yeah, I just read that release is imminent. And I saw something that said July, which is actually still quite a ways. But this seems a lot more logical than the Airstash as it would hold more rather than swapping out SD cards all the time. However, if I already have SD cards, the Airstash is only $100 and available right now rather than $200 and not available until July.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Airstash looks like the more flexible and portable solution, good for short trips. The GoFlex Satellite looks like something I'd like to have if I needed to carry my entire media library around with me, and then some.

So, I guess it depends on how you intend to use it, and price and availability of course.

OP
E

enron29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I just want to clarify that an SD card is an SD card, right? The airstash doesn't take a special kind of SD card, right?

Most reactions

Latest posts