1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

AirPrint - iOS devices cannot see it all the time???

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by PeteS, Mar 13, 2011.

1. PeteS

PeteS iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went out and bought a HP PS 210a (great printer btw), I have been able to print from my iOS devices from time to time, but unfortunately it's not the standard experience and I was wondering if something is required for this to be the experience and/or if others had the similar experience and figured out why?

Hope you can help...

Peter

Funny that the iPf app doesn't support the create a new thread feature :confused:
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    From the title of your thread, I guess that, when you select 'Print' from an app that supports in-app printing, sometimes you get a menu that shows your printer and then everything is OK and sometimes you don't and there are no printers shown.

I've had a similar problem - but not really the same, so not sure if my experience is relevant at all - if it's not, just ignore me (most people do anyway) and I'll go away.

I have a printer that's not AirPrint compatible so I use the third-party app, 'Print N Share' (well, to be completely honest, its predecessor 'PrintCentral'). This app effectively makes my printer 'look' like an AirPrint-compatible printer, so it appears in the print menu of apps that support in-app printing.

Now, I sometimes experience the exact same problem as you do. After much experimenting (OK - fancy word for trial-and-error) I found that my ADSL router was occasionally changing the IP address of the printer, which confused the iPad - or perhaps 'PrintCentral'. If I forced the IP address back to the original address, no problem. Eventually, I managed to discover (good old 'trial-and-error' again) how to set up the printer with a static IP address.

OK - as I said - it's probably no help. In my case, there are several people in my house who have laptops that are constantly coming-and-going and this seemed to cause the router to constantly re-assign IP addresses. Additionally, I occasionally have to reset the router and, of course, it then completely re-assigns everything.

OK - I'll keep quiet now and go away and dig my car out of the snow...

Tim
    snowy Scotland
  3. PeteS

PeteS iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Tim, took the opportunity to reconfigure the printer to the original IP and you are right suddenly my AirPrint works again - odd this is not mentioned anywere, much appreciated and you do not need to be so humble :)

Good luck with the snow, seems as if we are going to get more white in the years to come

Pete

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  4. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,985 / 1
    To create a new thread using the iPF app, select the Forum tab at the bottom of the screen. Navigate to the forum you want to create the thread in. Tap the icon in the top right corner of the screen and choose New Thread.