1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

airport x-rays

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by bengun, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bengun

bengun iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Anyone had a negative experience sending their iPad thru airport security x-ray machines? Any possibility of damaging the electronics of the iPad?
  2. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Nothing to report so far. Went through various airport security checks without them harming the iPad in any way.

Not that I expect any harm, X-Rays don't randomly fry hardware. :)
  3. bengun

bengun iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks for that - I'll find out for certain next week..
  4. Aldo

Aldo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Its strange as i went through a couple in the states and my stuff was ok but my mates was totally wiped so i think its hit and miss
  5. TJK

TJK Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have never had a problem with any of my electronics including iPad anywhere I have flown international or domestic. I am talking about hundreds of flights in the past 10 years. Never one glitch.
  6. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0
    I have a friend that flies almost every week, sometimes 2 roundtrip flightw, and through lots of different airports. She carries her Ipad instead of laptop all the time and has not had any problem plus it slides through so easily as opposed to laptops. She's had hers since April 1, actually this is her second since she got wifi first day, gave it to her mother and got a 3G model when ghey were available. I often get emails from her inflight with the carriers that have inflight wifi. She loves having movies, books, being able to do some work, etc. And losing the weight to deal with.
  7. HiLandR

HiLandR iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I carry mine on and have had no problems in multiple locations!
  8. mrs241

mrs241 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No problems for me

I don't even take my ipad out of my bag like I used to have to with a laptop. They don't consider it a computer so they don't even ask. I fly a ton and have not had any issues with it going through the check point. My jewelry on the other hand drives them crazy. :eek:
  9. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +634 / 0
    You should totally demand that every airport security check you pass through from now on does not scan your iPad and instead disassemble it and checks it for explosives manually, the old fashioned way...
  10. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Where do you fly?

I always have to take out the iPad. In London Heathrow, the security even demanded to x-ray my Kindle separately, after it had already been through once while in the bag.
  11. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I don't think there's any consistency with which airport security officials do it: some will demand for you to remove your device, others are okay for you to leave it in the bag. (And arguing with them is just not worth the effort.)

And if X-rays harmed iPads, I think you would have heard about it already from the thousands of owners out there who fly with their device every day.
  12. TJK

TJK Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From the TSA Blog:
    The TSA Blog: Traveling with E-readers, Netbooks, and Other Small Gadgets (Including the iPad)

"....Electronic items smaller than the standard sized laptop should not need to be removed from your bag or their cases. It’s that simple.

It’s important to remember, however, that our officers are trained to look for anomalies to help keep air travel safe, and if something needs a closer look, it will receive secondary screening. The key to avoiding bag searches is keeping the clutter down. The less clutter you have in your bag, the less likely it will be searched."

So- while it is not necessarily required that you remove your iPad it is up to the discretion of the TSA agent. That would explain the inconsistencies.
    I tend also to have a very uncluttered, organized bag....
  13. Rgsp

Rgsp iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I work in the radiology profession and I can assure you that airport x-rays will not harm your iPad and electronics. I have had mine x-rayed several times with no issues.
  14. bengun

bengun iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks to all for your input. Sounds like there's no consistency between the various departure areas. Thanks again for your comments.
  15. VampiressRN

VampiressRN iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hate flying d/t the "unsecure" checks...LOL. I just got a backpack that has a bi-compartment break so hope it will be less of an issue in airports. Good to know that the iPad is not considered a laptop and not necessarily subject to that level of scrutiny. Don't know if this will be of help to anyone, but sharing...
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OC5JKY]Amazon.com: Targus Checkpoint-Friendly Air Traveler Backpack for 16 Inch Laptops TBB012US (Black): Electronics[/ame]
  16. iPadOhana

iPadOhana iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'll let you know when I fly out next week when trying to get through security. Oh the joys of traveling. NOT!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. Huckleberry

Huckleberry iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just was at the Paris Orly Airport and let my iPad go through the x-Rays as I did many times before.
    Because it was boring wating in the cue, I was reading on the iPad and I do not know if I swiched the screen of or not.

but when I took the iPad from the band and wanted to read again it had a unreadable, multicolourd stripe of about 4 cm in the middle of the screen. This stripe turned to be black after some days. Touch still works, but not the screen...

Could be a funny coincidence, but I suspect the x-rays to have destroyed my iPad.
  18. autumnbaby

autumnbaby iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Each TSA worker has different expectations so I just always make sure my toys (kindle and iPad) are out of my bag and in seperate containers every single time. None of them are going to complain about me taking them out and I find it saves time in the long run not having to deal with a TSA worker that interprets the rules differently than his/her fellow workers.
  19. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
  20. K1W1

K1W1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Lets qualify that statement.
    The regulations that you refer to are for the USA. Last time I looked Heathrow was in the UK. Different countries have different rules and interpretations of their rules.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.