What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airport security iPad

Fifi1992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do they make u put your iPad through the security screen on it's own? Do I have to take it out of it's bag

pphmmr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes of course, you have to put ipad out from your carry on bag and let them scan it.
as same as you had to do with your laptop.

Kilgore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had mixed experiences. Early on, I asked and was told it could stay in my bag and that's usually what I do.

I've gone through TSA screening about 20 times with my iPad in my bag and two times, they've needed to rescreen my carry on. In both cases, I had more stuff in there than normal and they said they couldn't see everything they needed to. The last time, which happed a few weeks ago, the screener said that it was because I had a bag of Trader Joe's peanut butter filled pretzels that blocked the view. On that return trip, I had everything else in my bag and had no problems with screening.

So if you travel light, you should have no problems.

Boldie24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I fly every week and have found that the TSA is very inconsistent with their requirements (big shock). For the most part they say you don't have to take it out but I have found my security checks go smoother but just removing from my carry on bag.

T(housands) S(tanding) A(round)

Sent from my iPad2, 32gb 3G

bored2426

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I travel I always take my iPad out because when I don't they always hassle me about it. I would take it out just to save yourself the trouble of waiting for re screening

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - it's always better to err on the side of safety because otherwise, as the other poster said, they want to shake you down - they put the iPad back through the scanner and you have to wait and, of course, this always happens when you're late for a connection.

Plus, I've found that the security personnel are always quite interested in an iPad - yes, after all this time, there are people out there who haven't seen one and are quite interested in having a 'demonstration'. I reckon I've sold a few over the last few months.....

Tim
Scotland

MerkinMuffley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never taken mine out when flying. Last week when I flew the pinhead wanted to look inside my camera lenses (I had four in my bag with an IPad) because according to her it was dark inside them. Next time I will have to remember to ask the little man who lives inside my lens to turn his flashlight on for them.

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MerkinMuffley said:
I've never taken mine out when flying. Last week when I flew the pinhead wanted to look inside my camera lenses (I had four in my bag with an IPad) because according to her it was dark inside them. Next time I will have to remember to ask the little man who lives inside my lens to turn his flashlight on for them.

They're just like any other person taking orders from the real pinheads who are making the wool-over-our-eyes policies.

We did get a laugh one time when traveling from Ethiopia, and their security agents made my friend open her Pelican lenses case. We later found out that it was because her camera locks look like rifle rounds in the scanner. Lesson learned on that one!

NCTurner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
last week when i flew the pinhead wanted to look inside my camera lenses (i had four in my bag with an ipad) because according to her it was dark inside them. Next time i will have to remember to ask the little man who lives inside my lens to turn his flashlight on for them.

rofl!

haggisgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I fly at least once a month and have never taken my Ipad out of my carry on and I've never had anyone request that I do nor had my bag rescreened. But I'm sure its like everything else, each airport is different and there will probably be a time I'm told to remove it. If you feel more comfortable and want to avoid any potential hassle, remove it. If you don't care, leave it in the carry on.

jakerich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got stopped once because they claimed I had a corkscrew. I told them I didn't and offered to open the offending bag. They refused that offer and insisted on sending it through xray again, and again, and again with the crowd watching the monitor growing each time. Finally, a supervisor came over and asked me to open the bag. Inside they found a small note tablet with the spiral binding...and no corkscrew.

Truck Guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I fly at least twice a month and have never had to take my iPad out of my briefcase or back pack.

Someone else's experience may vary... :D

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I fly a good deal and have found this to be the best solution: I take my laptop out (Toshiba Portege) and place it into the bin. I take my iPad2 out and separate it from the ZAGG/Logitech keyboard. I lay the iPad at about 45 degrees atop the keyboard and place THAT assembly in the same bin - there's enough room for both.

Takes a few extra seconds, but saves me from having to unload my backpack or having it rescreened.

Most reactions