Airplay over VPN outside LAN.

Discussion in 'iPad Air 2 Forum' started by Oscar92, May 20, 2015.

1. Oscar92

Oscar92
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi! I'm having a problem finding my AirPlay speakers when connected to my home network through VPN from another network. I am using D Link DIR 890l and set up a QuickVPN. I can access my router through it's local ip adress 192.168.0.1 but my Ipad 2 won't show as a local connected device in the routers client list even though it has received an ip adress from my DIR 890l.

Thanks for any help!

2. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I believe for AirPlay to work, they need to be on the same network, in other words both the iPad and AirPlay device would need to be on the same subnet, getting their ip allocated from the same DHCP server.

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to stop using VPN on your iPad while you're connected to your AirPlay speakers. You can use it again when you're ready to go online.

4. Oscar92

Oscar92
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the replies. I have to use the VPN to connect to my home network when I'm not home (f.ex. Connecting to home network over 3G/4G). I do receive an IP-adress from the DHCP-server in the router which belongs to the home network through VPN.

5. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Actually, just to clarify, are the AirPlay speakers where you are, or on your home network?

6. Oscar92

Oscar92
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    The AirPlay speakers are not in the same LAN network as my iPad 2 is connected to. I have set up a VPN server in the home network the AirPlay speakers are connected to. My iPad is a VPN client to this VPN server (remotely ).

Thanks for replies :)

7. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I believe iOS and OS X uses Bonjour (or some other apply protocol) to discover AirPlay speakers. You're VPN software many need to enable some extra ports or protocols beyond the normals ones. Exactly what those should be and how you do it, I have no idea. But it should be researchable.