What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airplane Mode

Reaction score
There are flight restrictions, meaning that certain devices are not allowed to be used. So instead of you not being able to use the iPad at all, it comes with an airplane mode, as do most device, which turns off Wifi/3G and bluetooth, but in turn allows you to use the device on an airplane, hence it's name.

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also useful if you are not using wifi and want to conserve the battery charge.

a1ang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if you are on a plane with the Wifi internet connection, do you leave airplane mode off and turn off the cellular signal?

alan

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
a1ang said:
So if you are on a plane with the Wifi internet connection, do you leave airplane mode off and turn off the cellular signal?

alan

Yes, that will be the way to do it.

On a similar note I always wondered if there are really interference risks with phones, laptops and other mobile devices on a plane. If there is really a risk wouldn't the airlines be much more careful? If people board the plane with phones still on staff does not seem too concerned. Even people listening to music during take-off and landing.

When they can charge 8USD per minute to use the airplane phone I believe it is more an economic risk.

Or do I see this wrong?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

a1ang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A follow up to my previous question. With airplane mode off, cellular off, does GPS work? I would assume that it does but the airlines seem to not want you to use GPS in the air. Does anyone know if you can get a GPS lock?

alan

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The GPS requires radio line of sight to the satellites that give that position data. In the fully inclosed metal tube of most commercial airliners that isn't possible. Smaller private plane pilots with better exposure in the cockpit can get GPS signals (can "see" the satellites).

*sigh* @ the bitching about interference. Yes when the rules were initially put into place there were classes of portable consumer level radio gear that could and could still interfere with aircraft navigation equipment (it would not make it fall from the sky but still not safe and not good). It was simpler and far easier to just extend the ban to all radio emitting and electronic devices.

In more recent times it is also continued as a rather long winded way of making coordination between hostile individuals difficult.

Also the Airplane mode will turn of the GPS as well as.

Last edited by a moderator:

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The GPS works withe cellular turned off. I have used GPS several time in airliners. You need to be able to get the GPS reasonably close to a window, and it helps if that window is southerly-facing. It can be more trouble than it's worth. It's much easier with a GPS that has an external antenna.

Most reactions

Latest posts