What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air printing problems

Skysurferdude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since around about the time iOS 5 came out, I have been unable to print to my wireless Epson Workforce 633 as I had been doing previously. Not sure if the iOS 5 update was a factor or if there is something else causing this. I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks!

PoetDoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had the same problem and haven't solved it to my satisfaction. And yes, it's an iOS 5 problem. Prior to iOS 5 I used my iPad 2 for work, but have gone back to my laptop since I can no longer print without silly work arounds (like taking a screenshot and printing as a picture). With iOS 4.3 my iPad 2 was a work tool and with iOS 5 it's a home toy. Not happy :-(

OP
S

Skysurferdude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, It was working via air print. I forget what I had to do to make it happen. You are correct; the 633 is not listed as an airprint compatable printer but it was working. I think there was a piece of software that I installed on my PC that fooled the iPad to recognize the printer via the wifi network. Not a tech head but I can usually get these things sorted out. I can't be the only guy with this issue.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm, maybe something in this will help you figure out what happened, and what to do. It's getting late and I don't feel like just retyping the relevant parts, or editing out the un-relevant. Sorry.

Good luck.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Some printers are directly compatible with AirPrint on the iPad. This includes several HP printers and a smaller selection of Canon and Epson printers. Be absolutely certain the printer supports AirPrint before buying. Some printers may require a firmware update to work. These are usually available on the manufacturers site. If you get this kind of printer you can print directly from within apps that support the feature, which is many.

iOS: AirPrint 101

Of course some of us already have printers and do not want to buy a new one. There are a couple ways to do this.

One is to use a printing app on the iPad.

Most (or all) other print apps can only print pictures and/or files that have been copied to that app via Open In or other method. Print n Share used to be able to print from AirPrint enabled apps if it was loaded the background. It lost this ability with iOS 5. It may still work with iOS 4 if you get it before the app is updated in the App Store. Several printer manufacturers have their own apps for their printers. In general those apps will probably have the best results, quality wise.

The second method is to load a program on the computer that will emulate an AirPrint compatible printer. Your computer must be on and have the printer available to it. The cheapest (free) is Airprint Activator. More features can be had with FingerPrint (mac and windows) and Printopia (mac only).

There is a third way. A few printers (mostly HP's again) can be set up with their own email address. PDF attachments can be sent via this address to be printed. The last review I saw (several months ago) said it could be quite slow (big files not recommended), and sometimes the emails got lost and never printed. The advantage was that you could literally send/print from anywhere you have an internet connection.

OP
S

Skysurferdude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you! I bought FingerPrint for my windows laptop. It seems to do the trick! Definitely worth the $10 for me! I appreciate your help, Mr. Wizzard! You are a good wizzard indeed!!

superbond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I to had the same problem! I have a Epson workforce 630 and I was printing doc's until I tried to install airprint activator and now can't print a thing! there has to be a way to remove it from my computer.I tried to uninstall it but it says its not there but I know it is.

Yes, It was working via air print. I forget what I had to do to make it happen. You are correct; the 633 is not listed as an airprint compatable printer but it was working. I think there was a piece of software that I installed on my PC that fooled the iPad to recognize the printer via the wifi network. Not a tech head but I can usually get these things sorted out. I can't be the only guy with this issue.

OP
S

Skysurferdude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please Help! (Again). My capability to print from my ipad over my wireless network using fingerprint app on my laptop has been inoperative for sometime. I just recently have made an effort to get it going again. It looks like my Epson Workforce 630 is being found by my ipad and at times I even get a message saying "sending to printer" but nothing is getting printed. Anyone know of any configuration changes that would help with this. Not sure if the problem occurred as a result of an iOS update or not. If so, it was not the most recent update to iOS 6.0 as it has been going on before that version was out. Please advise. Thanks so much!!

craxietoner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to first Email to yourself and open them in your wifi printing application. This will help you to print documents.

Most reactions