What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Display or Maxivista?

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm also interested in this. Second opinion? Does anyone have both, or a third option?

appsmonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
appsmonkey.com
I'm also interested in this. Second opinion? Does anyone have both, or a third option?
For your personal entertainment, there's a full-blown war between Air Display vs MaxiVista here:
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-apps/5218-ipad-air-display-app-windows-xp.html

Apparently someone felt ripped off because MaxiVista was lacking features that Air Display offered, particularly the ability to interact with the iPad's touchscreen (for calculator, painting, or music, etc.) while it's being used as a second monitor.

Also I noticed that MaxiVista doesn't support full-screen video playback on the iPad, which Air Display does (albeit slightly grainy). On the iTunes Store, MaxiVista says that full video playback is disabled in order to 'increase the battery life of the iPad'. Wow, I never knew battery life could actually increase just by playing a video at half size :p. Anyway, I think I've made my point clear on who I'd go with.

EE_Chris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own both. I purchased Air Display first, downloaded their software, installed it on my WinXP machine (of which their website says will work with) and...nothing but errors. The software never launched (though it installed fine) on my PC and always gave me an error. This was on a recently (at the time) re-formatted PC with WinXP SP3 and all available updates installed.

This was a couple months ago and I have not tried since to see if they've updated their software because after that I tried MaxiVista. Installed their software and things were setup and running without a hitch. It works great for what I use it for (toolbars and other static things). Never tried playing video through it though.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I've had a problem with Maxivista for the past few days. Maybe even a week. Whenever I try starting it, the iPad starts bringing up the background of the Windows computer, and when it is almost complete, it suddenly stops and resets. It will not run. I've tried fiddling with settings to no avail. I'm running Windows 7 Professional. It was working, but this just suddenly occurred with the errors.

Any ideas? I'm suddenly learning how much I needed this for working on my projects.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
air display is garbage. I installed it on my mac, it rarely worked, and when it did it was horrible, and since i uninstalled it it has left a third phantom desktop on my computer.

OP
N

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought maxi vista. it works well, but no touch screen and forget large videos, but I knew this before hand. I am happy with it

BruceBanner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well i have both and airdisplay performs better (and also has added features maxi lacks). Both installed easily, no issues, airdisplay installed easier imo. I find it interesting how some rekon maxi is better and others airdisplay. To me if u have tried both i can't see how u would favour maxi more, it lacks features and is more sluggish. I'm running Xp SP3, but about to go win 7 soon.

Most reactions