What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Bubble Under Home Button

The Merg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently got a refurbished iPad Air. The item is in terrific condition, except for one small annoying thing. There appears to be a small air bubble (or what seems to be one) on the Home button. If I run my fingernail over the Home button, I can feel a bump and you can kinda hear a snap of the bubble "popping".

Maybe it's just me being anal, but is this worth having the iPad sent back and replaced. The seller will take it back and if they still have more in stock will send me out another one. I'm just wondering if it's worth the hassle of being without the iPad for a week and taking the small chance that they don't have any more in stock and will just give me a refund instead (I got it at a great price).

Just looking for some thoughts/input from others...

Thanks.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are you sure it's not just a bit of old screen protector film still stuck to the button, applied by a previous owner. If they refurbished it then they might have been missed a minor detail like that.

Other than that, it's going to be entirely up to you. Only you know how much it bugs you, and whether the risks you outlined are worth the trouble. I probably wouldn't, but different people are bothered by different things and it's your satisfaction that's on the line, not mine.

OP
T

The Merg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good question about the old screen protector, although I hadn't found one that actually covered the Home button as well. Most have a hole for the Home button and don't actually cover the button themselves. Have you seen some that cover the Home button as well?

- Merg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good question about the old screen protector, although I hadn't found one that actually covered the Home button as well. Most have a hole for the Home button and don't actually cover the button themselves. Have you seen some that cover the Home button as well?

- Merg

I've never used a screen protector on my iPad, so I'm just speculating; though I seem to remember some of the old ones advertising a separate button sticker. It only occurred to me because I've never seen any coating on the buttons at all, at least nothing that an air bubble would form under.

It should be easy enough to check. Some (very) careful work with a wooden or plastic toothpick should lift any temporary coating easily. Don't use metal or pry with any force.

OP
T

The Merg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not like it's an obvious bubble under some plastic coating. If I press with my finger softly on the Home button, I feel the click like I am pressing the button down, but can tell the button is not being pressed. If I continue to press, I'll actually push the button. If I run my fingernail over the button, I can feel what appears to be a small air bubble that moves along with my fingernail and then slips under my nail when I get to the edge of the button.

I'll take a closer look at it to make sure that there is not a small sticker on it that I just don't see.

- Merg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very odd indeed, because the home button is a solid piece of moulded plastic in the iPad Air.

Most reactions

Latest posts