What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ahmed Ashry...

ashry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New to iPad

Hallo and peace be upon all!

I've just registered to this forums and I don't know what to write exactly!
I bought an iPad, and, seeking to learn more on how to make a better use of it, I did register to this forum.
I don't have much time to expert everything and I just look for answers to specific questions and help to particular concerns I need to know.

The first thing I need to know is how to make a backup of my iPad to be used with another PC? I can't find something like a backup file that I can copy to the new PC and use it when I install iTunes there (on that other PC) and sync. I don't think, however, that this is not possible because not everyone will stick to the same iTunes library on the same PC forever! (at least I'll not).

The second issue is about "JailBreaking" iPads. I heard it's now legal to do so, but why should one do that? Does it give one free applications or whatsoever? (if you are an expert, this question would be very naive to you, of course, but... I need to know, so I don't hesitate asking naive questions or even stupid ones (if there's any :) ), as long as I know I don't have the needed experience or knowledge!)... I've never used an iPod or an iPhone before, so you could have an image how's it difficult for me to be in this community.

Hope this will be as useful as I expect :)

All the best.

Last edited:

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Ashry!

Welcome to the forum! I've never owned any i-gadgets before until Ipad. And I'm glad I did.

The good thing with this forum is you'll learn a lot. And someday you'll be be able to help/assist others as well. These are the steps of backing up your iPad courtesy of MikeStoolz of this forum.

To back up your iTunes:
1. Open iTunes
2. Go to File menu
3. Select library
4. Select back up to disc
5. Select back up entire iTunes library and playlists
6. Click next and it will start backing up to a blank cd and DVD

With regards to jailbreaking, although it is legal. Downloading apps for free is not. Some people who jb their iPad have the sole intention of installing installous to download apps for free. That is the part that makes it illegal.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to the forum!

As far as jailbreaking, that is the law in the United States. You will have to check to see if it is legal in Germany. But legal or not, jailbreaking is done at your own risk. Although jailbreaking will not physically harm or damage your iPad, it most certainly can cause certain other apps not to work or for your iPad not to function properly.

There is no factory warranty for the apps you download when you jailbreak. There is no "instruction manual". If they don't work as promised or cause other problems with your iPad, there is no one to complain to. There is no toll-free number to call. Your best bet would be to post your issues on a forum (like this one!) and hope that someone can help you resolve your problems. Jailbreaking is free and you get what you pay for!

On the other hand, jailbreaking can really unleash the power of your iPad beyond what is capable with Apple's offerings from the iTunes Store.

My advice would be to download the free iPad User Guide. There is a link in Safari to an online version of the User Guide, but if you download the free iBooks app, you can download the User Guide and have a permanent copy on your iPad. You can also download the User Guide by going to the Apple website under the Support option.

Last edited:
OP
ashry

ashry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@j0yful, @1991-C4
Thank you very much for the really helpful answers... this will definitely encourage me to ask more ;)

Most reactions