What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After a week of usage, here are my thoughts

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bingo! You hit the nail on the head. Apple is a marketing company, not a product company. They could be selling ball bearings and as long as they were shiny and premium priced people would buy them because they would be marketed as "insanely great" ball bearings.

Yeah, apple has blown it for years...the personal computer, the os operating system, iMac, iPhone, iPad. How do they survive producing these expensive smoke and mirror products? And how foolish are those of us who have paid out so much $ to be fooled.

Damn Apple :p

I assumed you have owned apple products all those years to experience what you posted if not you really have no idea about the products quality and engineering not to mention customer satisfaction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, you assume right. I have had apple products for decades. Silly me.

OP
S

Stingray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is not just Apple has proven history all manufactures have. Phones PC computers xbox you name it used by date is 3 months for computers when a speed bump occurs or a new model comes along 10 - 12 months it's obsolete as new processors are released that are faster and some times more features.
Apple replaces their product line yearly for example the iMac just released and the iPhone and iPad are no exceptions.
Software updates generally run max 3-5 years unless their is major upgrade of the OS which cannot installed on that model.

You are partly correct. I have a 2009 Ford with Sync. There are great new features in the latest Sync. Unfortunately my model won't get those new features.

However, I have a PC in my den that I bought in 2004. I just installed Windows 7 and it purrs along just fine.

The caveat is that some companies care about legacy, others don't. Apple doesn't.

And... It's hilarious to see the Apple lemmings that think syncing via wifi is the equivalent to flying or blowing up planets. That's why the Apple products go over so well with technology challenged.

Last edited:
OP
S

Stingray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, that poor old iPod. What a marketing disaster that was for Apple!

Bingo! You hit the nail on the head. Apple is a marketing company, not a product company. They could be selling ball bearings and as long as they were shiny and premium priced people would buy them because they would be marketed as "insanely great" ball bearings.

Ummm, I think you missed the sarcasm in 1991-C4's post. Apple is very much a product company. The MacBook Pro is better than any laptop I've owned before, from the quality of video and the screen to the durability all the way down to the battery time.

Just because there are elements of the iPad that YOU consider flawed does not make it so. There are more people buying it for features other that what YOU want.

I will absolutely agree with you on one thing, the quality of Apple's products is outstanding. I have an iPod that I've used for 4 years, it sits permanently in my car which gets terribly hot and never fails. Just runs and runs and runs.

But, there's a price for that premium. Think of it this way. The Ritz-Carlton is a high end hotel. You pay a premium for it. Is it really worth that premium over, say, Embassy Suites? Is it worth 3 times as much for just laying in bed to get a good night's sleep?

iPod, iPads, computers, they're commodities. They do a job. If the job is done just as well with a $25 Sansa Clip as an iPod Nano, is the Nano worth the premium. Yes, I purchased that iPod 4 years ago. For over $200. Now, I can get a Sansa with many more features for under $50. It's a music device, not a religion.

As to the Mac. Well, that's a niche product. People will pay more for it, a LOT more, because it's Apple. Same with Mercedes. People will buy a Mercedes when a Toyota will do simply because they can say they own a Mercedes. It's a status thing.

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The op has some valid concerns. Lack of sd is purely to force consumers to have to choose between apples 16,32,64 models. Otherwise, if sd existed, apple would only sell the smallest model and we would just buy big sd cards - but apple makes no moneynthat way.

The os limitations, the lack of connection to a windows share, no upnp, no simple way to add files to storage device. Think of the money we have spent on apps trying to get around these limitations - apple wins again.

What I don't get are things like no arrow keys, no delete key. Surely they can have it so we hold down a key and get these options.

But screen size, maybe a touch too small?but not really. I would have liked to see a 1280 x 720 screen, better res, HD, output 720 etc.

As for the keyboard, the on screen one works well, again anyone knows before buying this that it is a touch device, hence the touching :)

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Otherwise, if sd existed, apple would only sell the smallest model and we would just buy big sd cards - but apple makes no moneynthat way.
Who are you kidding? Sure, Apple makes some money up front, but the real purpose of the iPad is to serve as a portal to Apple's real money maker, iTunes. You only buy an iPad once, but you keep going back to iTunes over and over and over again.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The point of my previous post was that some complaints were about extremely obvious things like lack of an HDMI port - it's a bit silly for someone to buy a device and then complain about it lacking things that are blatantly obvious. Complaints about things like lack of cursor keys are pretty valid IMO.

C4 is obviously right about the app store; it would be interesting to see what the sales figures are. As for lack of SD card, etc... Sheesh... Go buy a MacBook already.

It just frustrates me that people think the iPad should/is the be all and end all of their computing needs.

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The point of my previous post was that some complaints were about extremely obvious things like lack of an HDMI port - it's a bit silly for someone to buy a device and then complain about it lacking things that are blatantly obvious. Complaints about things like lack of cursor keys are pretty valid IMO.

C4 is obviously right about the app store; it would be interesting to see what the sales figures are. As for lack of SD card, etc... Sheesh... Go buy a MacBook already.

It just frustrates me that people think the iPad should/is the be all and end all of their computing needs.

The thing is, as the OP stated in his first post and has been repeated since, he didn't buy it for himself, but for his wife. So he's not 'complaining' that it fails to meet his needs; obviously he's spent time with it and he has his own pros and cons list. I imagine that he wouldn't buy one for himself, judging by his post. He got it for his wife, and he's happy she likes it, but to him it's a flawed device. I don't read much more into it than that.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

The thing is, as the OP stated in his first post and has been repeated since, he didn't buy it for himself, but for his wife. So he's not 'complaining' that it fails to meet his needs; obviously he's spent time with it and he has his own pros and cons list. I imagine that he wouldn't buy one for himself, judging by his post. He got it for his wife, and he's happy she likes it, but to him it's a flawed device. I don't read much more into it than that.

Problem is, he went out of his way to complain about the "flaws" on an iPad forum. I mean, is it really that hard to predict what would happen?

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Problem is, he went out of his way to complain about the "flaws" on an iPad forum. I mean, is it really that hard to predict what would happen?

And? Is this a forum only for expressing unquestioned loyalty to all things ipad? Or a forum for someone to be able to express their feelings on the ipad, both positively and negatively? We should be able to express our sentiments about the ipad without fear of being attacked because one may happen to share a minority opinion. What do you mean 'went out of his way'? I've read equally detailed posts from people praising the pad. Did they go out of their way too? Or is that sentiment reserved only for those who share a different viewpoint?

Is it hard to predict what would happen posting that on this forum? Not at all. What's sad is that we can't celebrate differing opinions, we instead choose to attack the messenger as opposed to objectively discussing the message. I'm wanting to buy an ipad( that's why I'm here), so I personally want to see ALL opinions, good and bad. Does his issues with the ipad impact anyone else's personal enjoyment of it? This stuff is taken way too personally, it's a friggin electronic device, not the cure for cancer.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts