What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After a week of usage, here are my thoughts

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that many of these things will get corrected in the future. But, if history repeats itself ala the iPod, you will NOT see these upgrades, even software ones, on current models. Apple has a proven history of obsoleting older models. Yes, I know iOS4 should be available soon, but that will probably be the end of the line for the current model of the iPads.
Yeah, that poor old iPod. What a marketing disaster that was for Apple!

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it really is a world of give or take at times when it comes to somethings that people like or dislike ..so i you do not like the ipad then do not buy one or if you like the ipad then buy one .. so it up to you

OP
S

Stingray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that many of these things will get corrected in the future. But, if history repeats itself ala the iPod, you will NOT see these upgrades, even software ones, on current models. Apple has a proven history of obsoleting older models. Yes, I know iOS4 should be available soon, but that will probably be the end of the line for the current model of the iPads.

Bingo! You hit the nail on the head. Apple is a marketing company, not a product company. They could be selling ball bearings and as long as they were shiny and premium priced people would buy them because they would be marketed as "insanely great" ball bearings.

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is not just Apple has proven history all manufactures have. Phones PC computers xbox you name it used by date is 3 months for computers when a speed bump occurs or a new model comes along 10 - 12 months it's obsolete as new processors are released that are faster and some times more features.
Apple replaces their product line yearly for example the iMac just released and the iPhone and iPad are no exceptions.
Software updates generally run max 3-5 years unless their is major upgrade of the OS which cannot installed on that model. Apple and other manufactures carry parts no longer than 5 years now when it use to be 7
So where does this leave us with the iPad from my 30 years experience you will continue to sEe updates (bug fixes) etc for the Os on the iPad. OS 4 will be released fall/spring world wide. On going updates will continue as long as Apple chooses or needs to. New model ipads (not current size) most likely be released either prior Xmas or in Jan . I suspect we will see a major update of the current iPad some time in the 2 nd quarter ie April if not earlier just to stay ahead of the pack.

In response to the OP no product and I mean no product suits all. There will be always something one does not like or something missing you want. On hardware it's about price point and providing the best for the money and I think Apple has done an amazing job to provide a device at an affordable price. If you wait another iPad will come along most likely with features you want or a droid or whatever will come along but I can guarantee regardless of what you purchase it you you will find some thing you don't like.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

Bingo! You hit the nail on the head. Apple is a marketing company, not a product company. They could be selling ball bearings and as long as they were shiny and premium priced people would buy them because they would be marketed as "insanely great" ball bearings.

Ummm, I think you missed the sarcasm in 1991-C4's post. Apple is very much a product company. The MacBook Pro is better than any laptop I've owned before, from the quality of video and the screen to the durability all the way down to the battery time.

Just because there are elements of the iPad that YOU consider flawed does not make it so. There are more people buying it for features other that what YOU want.

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yeah, apple has blown it for years...the personal computer, the os operating system, iMac, iPhone, iPad. How do they survive producing these expensive smoke and mirror products? And how foolish are those of us who have paid out so much $ to be fooled.

Damn Apple :p

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

Yeah, apple has blown it for years...the personal computer, the os operating system, iMac, iPhone, iPad. How do they survive producing these expensive smoke and mirror products? And how foolish are those of us who have paid out so much $ to be fooled.

Careful, he's not following sarcasm well today. :D

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ummm, I think you missed the sarcasm in 1991-C4's post. Apple is very much a product company. The MacBook Pro is better than any laptop I've owned before, from the quality of video and the screen to the durability all the way down to the battery time.

Just because there are elements of the iPad that YOU consider flawed does not make it so. There are more people buying it for features other that what YOU want.

Worth saying again. It all seriousness. :)

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish complain about my iPod not having engines and wings..

Maybe I should have bought a aircraft instead.

That said though, it's pretty good at watching video on while out and about (if I want 1080p, I'll use my big tv, av amp, bluray player and half dozen speakers....), good at browsing the web, good to read news on, Good for casual gaming, good as the most OTT PDA ever...

I'm a little disappointed that I can't control the Large Hadron Collider with it..

And it would be pretty cool if it could blow up whole planets... Actually.. Wait, no, thats a Death Star. Why isn't my iPad a Death Star?!

I feel so cheated.
:(

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish complain about my iPod not having engines and wings..

Maybe I should have bought a aircraft instead.

That said though, it's pretty good at watching video on while out and about (if I want 1080p, I'll use my big tv, av amp, bluray player and half dozen speakers....), good at browsing the web, good to read news on, Good for casual gaming, good as the most OTT PDA ever...

I'm a little disappointed that I can't control the Large Hadron Collider with it..

And it would be pretty cool if it could blow up whole planets... Actually.. Wait, no, thats a Death Star. Why isn't my iPad a Death Star?!

I feel so cheated.
:(

Because asking Apple not to gimp the bluetooth on the device, allow it to subscribe to podcasts on its own, play standard video formats like avi and mkv and allow the user to customize his device past changing the wallpaper is the same as asking for it to control the LHC or for it to fly.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I assumed you have owned apple products all those years to experience what you posted if not you really have no idea about the products quality and engineering not to mention customer satisfaction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions