What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advise please for Google map app

sue.block195

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just purchase a new 2013 Mini iPad wi-fi retina display.

I am wishing to use google maps /and or a GPS app on the iPad in my car and do I use google /GPS app ( if there is such a thing) in my car . That is what do I need to purchase to work in the car.

thank you

Sue

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is certainly a Google Maps app in the App Store. There are plenty of other map apps with various uses, including turn by turn navigation. Search "navigation" to get results.

You will run into problems if you have a wifi only iPad. Without the cellular chip (3G/4G/LTE) you cannot get GPS apps to reliably get your current location. A wifi only iPad has no GPS functionality, except for limited locational ability via wifi. Obviously whilst driving, you will not have wifi coverage.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Bad Elf now makes a GPS device for Lightning connrctor iOS devices. Ironically it costs about the same as the difference between a cellular and wi-fi only iPad. It won't give you all the capabilities of the built in GPS, but will work with some navigation apps.

Bad Elf - Bad Elf GPS for Lightning Connector

Or, if you are still within your 15 day return window, you could get you money back and purchase a cellular iPad instead. It is not necessary to have a cellular data plan to use the GPS.

On the other hand Google Maps does not work well without internet, which usually requires a cellular data plan when mobile.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have just purchase a new 2013 Mini iPad wi-fi retina display. I am wishing to use google maps /and or a GPS app on the iPad in my car and do I use google /GPS app ( if there is such a thing) in my car . That is what do I need to purchase to work in the car. thank you Sue
If GPS functionality is important to you, you should return your WiFi only iPad mini with retina display and exchange it for the WiFi + Cellular model if you are still within the return period. The GPS functionality is not dependant on a cellular data contract and will, in fact, work without a SIM card inserted.

For offline navigation capability, there are many navigation apps available from the AppStore, which have the ability to download maps for offline use. These apps range from free to quite expensive and both kinds have maps available as an in-app purchase.

Last edited:
OP
S

sue.block195

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. GPS is not that important, just the odd occasion. I will check on the navigation app available from AppStore to download maps for offline use. Which Apps would you recommend.

Sue

Lostintheweb21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I usually use IMAP it's more accurate than google maps. When I maps doesn't find where I need to go waze is good. I do have cellular in addition to wifi, but where I live ther is no cellular reception until I hit the highway about 1 1/2 miles from home, from there it's clear sailing. iPad mini 32 gb wifi cellular.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. GPS is not that important, just the odd occasion. I will check on the navigation app available from AppStore to download maps for offline use. Which Apps would you recommend. Sue

I like Navigon.

Lostintheweb21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
App Store all the way

Unless you want the app on your computer, why make more work for yourself? I just downloaded it from the App Store straight to my iPad mini from the App Store.

Most reactions