What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

advice please

samch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi , I understand this is the ipad forum but figured the principles are the same for the iphone. i have just jb my iphone 4 for the first time i'm on ios 4.3.3 and my husbands 3gs but what happens when the new ios 5 comes out , I understand it may not be able to be jb straight away so my question is can I just update it as normal ?(knowing I will lose the jb ) or do I restore and update ?
or is there anything special I have to do instead ? can you please provide a link to the relevant thread for me please if there is. I tried to install tiny umbrella to save my shsh bobs but it said it's not compatible with windows 7 64 bit and I have not seen the make my life easier button on cydia althought at the top it says shsh ios 4.3.3 .
I read the information about shsh blobs but I'm not 100% sure if I only need them if I keep the same ios till a new jb version is out rather than update straight away.
please advise as I want to be set sooner rather than too late and end up with mobiles i can't update.
sorry if this has been asked before i did search, guess i should have asked before i jb ;)
thanks in advance

OP
S

samch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
someone please :)
I am enjoying having a jb phone more than I thought I would so will be doing my ipad if I can get a answer to my question :ipad-back:

Crazyjackson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When it comes out you can just update, I don't believe you need to restore.

But of course you'll lose the jailbreak

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You cant update a jailbroken device. You have to restore to stock using DFU mode first, then upadate and re-jailbreak.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi. You are right the process is pretty much the same.

Since I am assuming you will want to preserve your jailbreak, applications, settings, and data, I suggest you look at my guide here:

http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...des/26399-how-upgrade-your-ios-jailbreak.html

This is a process you can follow to preserve all those things. It will be the same for IOS5, however you will of course have to wait until a jailbreak is released for iOS5 BEFORE you start!

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
S

samch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks to all of you for all your help.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know why you think it is not compatible. I only run W7 64 and it has always worked. It does however need java to be installed.

OP
S

samch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i reinstalled java and tried to install tiny umbrella yet again, now it says it's not a valid win 34 bit application then stops ( I know I'm a 64 bit but it still says that so I'm stumped, there's no other version to download) , i'm downloading it from the main website so don't know what i'm doing wrong and i'm not acccidently using the osx version or anything lol

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts