What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on having an old ipad?

mstiny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the original iPad and works fine . But keep noticing if I download apps they are of no use to me be they are of the higher speck than my iPad . Should I fill up with all the apps that I maybe need the now before everything is upgraded and can't use them no more ?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's an interesting way of looking at it - get the older versions now before they are upgraded for iOS 7. And, it'll probably work, as so as you are aware that you'll constantly have upgrade notices on your AppStore icon. But, if the un-upgraded apps are on your iPad, then they should work fine.

In addition, Apple has started a process where people can download the app version that works with their iOS, regardless of which version in current in the AppStore. So, say you go to download an app that has been updated and now says it only works with iOS 7. Before, you just couldn't download the app. But now, you will see a pop-up that says there is an older version that is compatible with your iOS and do you want that one. It's not perfect, as developers do have the option of ensuring that old version is not available at all. But, still better than nothing for most apps.

So, between you getting apps before they upgrade and the new AppStore process, you should be doing pretty good with apps on that first generation iPad. Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
mstiny

mstiny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's an interesting way of looking at it - get the older versions now before they are upgraded for iOS 7. And, it'll probably work, as so as you are aware that you'll constantly have upgrade notices on your AppStore icon. But, if the un-upgraded apps are on your iPad, then they should work fine.

In addition, Apple has started a process where people can download the app version that works with their iOS, regardless of which version in current in the AppStore. So, say you go to download an app that has been updated and now says it only works with iOS 7. Before, you just couldn't download the app. But now, you will see a pop-up that says there is an older version that is compatible with your iOS and do you want that one. It's not perfect, as developers do have the option of ensuring that old version is not available at all. But, still better than nothing for most apps.

So, between you getting apps before they upgrade and the new AppStore process, you should be doing pretty good with apps on that first generation iPad. Good luck.

Marilyn

Am a true scot I like to get my money's worth lol . Bought it for 85 pounds from apple nearly 3 yrs ago and I can honestly say used it every day and hope to be using it for another wee while . Thanks for your reply

batty505

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the original iPad and works fine . But keep noticing if I download apps they are of no use to me be they are of the higher speck than my iPad . Should I fill up with all the apps that I maybe need the now before everything is upgraded and can't use them no more ?

I know switching costs are a big factor, but have you considered selling or upgrading your ipad?
Most apps are updated according to its IOS. There's a point where you can't update or upgrade the device and becomes a diminishing return. All things being equal, You decide whether to upgrade or switch platforms.
I'm on an ipadv2, so I'm in the same situation.

HTH

OP
mstiny

mstiny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know switching costs are a big factor, but have you considered selling or upgrading your ipad?
Most apps are updated according to its IOS. There's a point where you can't update or upgrade the device and becomes a diminishing return. All things being equal, You decide whether to upgrade or switch platforms.
I'm on an ipadv2, so I'm in the same situationn

Hi am not working so upgrading is not an option for me . Although would love to have iPad with camera inbuilt . Maybe someone will buy one for my Christmas :))

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions