What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice for graphic novel app?

dtdlurch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

Been a bit of a lurker for awhile as I'm still getting absorbed in the world my iPad has opened up. Was hoping for thoughts and advice regarding the development of a comic book or graphic novel app.

I'm new to the programming world. Having a foundation in Java, I've begun to work with Objective-C and this app is my first project. I know it will take awhile. Not interested in outsourcing development. This is for me and i want to learn it. Could anyone lend any advice on where to start? Anyone know of any open source code out there i can study that would provide a framework for where i can begin implementing my own ideas?

I realize this is a broad set of questions. would like to have a nice discussion about the topic though. thanks in advance.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
You could also take a look at unity3d (javascript) or gamesalad. They aren't perfect for that kind of a app, but they save you some time. More time to create your content.
And you could build your app for MAC/PC, Android or the web, too.

links:
UNITY: Game Development Tool
GameSalad - Game Creation for the Rest of Us - GameSalad.com

Apple could decide to not accept your app if you make it with those. The developer agreement you sign says you must use xCode to develope the app.

Many people have made apps like this and then had apple reject them for creating the apps in 3rd party tools.

intulo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.intulo.com
Yes, a little risk remains that Apple will decide to ban unity, like they did with flash. But so far unity seems to be fine, no app gets rejected for the use of unity. At least no one the unity-community know about ;)

Apple approved our own game without any problems in early August. An update and for the iPhone in late August. Also Apple features our game in "Staff Favorites" in a few countries right now. No problems so far, even though our game shows a "powered by unity"-splashscreen at start up.

The upcoming rocket engine by Rocket Pack looks interesting, too. Maybe in the future it will be possible to create something like a graphic novel with it. Rocket Engine

But of course xCode is the save and clean way for the iPad, if you are able to get into it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts