Adobe Replies to Steve Jobs’ “Thoughts on Flashâ€

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by iDan, May 3, 2010.

1. iDan

iDan Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +94 / 2
    [​IMG]

After Apple CEO Steve Jobs’ recent “Thoughts on Flash†blog post which comprehensively detailed all the reasons why Apple eschews Flash for its mobile devices, Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch has posted something of a rebuttal on Adobe.com. Given the length and detail in Jobs’ post, however, it’s noticeable how short Lynch’s post is, and how he seems to totally ignore the fine detail in Jobs’ post. While acknowledging that many people feel very passionately about both Apple and Adobe and their technologies, and stating that even now Adobe still feels that Flash could provide a “terrific experience†on the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, Lynch says that the main bone of contention as far as Adobe is concerned is Apple “choosing to block Adobe’s widely used runtimes as well as a variety of technologies from other providers.â€

Lynch goes on to say that, due to the legal terms Apple has imposed on developers, Adobe had already decided to move away from developing for Apple’s mobile devices and concentrate fully on bringing Flash Player and AIR to Google, RIM, Palm (soon to be HP), Microsoft, Nokia and others. Lynch concludes his post by announcing that Flash Player 10.1 for Android smartphones is set to be publicly previewed at Google I/O in May, before getting a general release in June, after which he hopes “an ever increasing number and variety of powerful, Flash-enabled devices will be arriving which we hope will provide a great landscape of choice.â€

By Maura Sutton, iPadForums.net
    Moving Forward (Adobe Featured Blogs)
  2. write-stuff

write-stuff iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Notwithstanding all of that, I still miss being able to view flash sites on my iPad! I think it will be a long time before (and if) all the web developers dump flash for HTML5.
  3. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    The relationship between Apple and Adobe is like a divorced married couple. Apple worked with Adobe to develop Postscript. Apple invested $2.5M to bu Adobe stock. Adobe responds by developing great products for Mac graphics users. Then Adobe sticks it to Apple and Microsoft on Postscript pricing. Apple and MS develop Truetype fonts. Adobe gets furious, but lowers Postscript prices. Apple hits a rough patch and Adobe announces they will drop Mac support. Apple develops their own replacement programs, some even better than the Adobe products. And so it goes on.
  4. kheldour

kheldour iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Even if the iPad is capable enough to play flash content, the iPhone is not.
    Flash was not recommended by web designers for years, because the content is not searchable, eats up a lot of bandwith, processor power etc.

Why the heck, people make a lot of fuzz about flash support now?
  5. figmo10

figmo10 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Much of what I've seen on the web in Flash has been ads anyway. Haven't missed it on the iPad yet.
  6. Isaac Newton

Isaac Newton iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WIll be glad to see HTML5 make a grand entrance very soon after the new OS is in play. I believe most of the doubting thomas' will finally relent and say the iPad is now worthy of their praise...I say whatever. The iPad was ahead of it's time to begin with.
  7. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Personally, I hate having popups appear out of nowhere when I least expect it. I always choose what I do in a page, I don't like that Flash routines pick for me.

I don't mind at all not having Flash, I'm used to it since I mostly surf on an old Linux device that doesn't support it.
  8. Gayle

Gayle iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Don't miss Flash at all.
  9. Takenover83

Takenover83 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Adobe decries Apple's 'walled garden,' yet pledges 'best tools' for HTML5

Source: Adobe decries Apple's 'walled garden,' yet pledges 'best tools' for HTML5 -- Engadget
  10. freebirdforever

freebirdforever iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Personally, I wish there was flash support, as I watch many videos on sites that require flash.
  11. ayerbusiness@gmail.com

ayerbusiness@gmail.com iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Adobe flash is one of the problem of iPad. I do not know why Steve Jobbs did not put adobe flash on his masterpiece.
  12. Itzxdjx

Itzxdjx iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah apple just need to get out of there high horse and stop trying to build a monopoly!
  13. emilyjane918

emilyjane918 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    HTML5 is becoming more and more popular, and some browsers support it, but Adobe Flash Player remains the web standard if you want computer-like browsing experience. The Nokia N900 has it and the Mozilla-based Maemo browser is probably the best mobile browser in the world. Users WILL to read newspapers on the iPad and I'm sure they'll also want to watch some YouTube videos, but iPad can't support it. So disappoint!!! I wish iPad will support flash!!! Adobe should support iPad and apple fans
  14. Takenover83

Takenover83 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The iPad has a Youtube APP and it is also integrated in the OS so it can be used when a web browser calls on it. So yes, flash it not supported but YouTube is.
  15. jizmo

jizmo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can't we all just get along?......:D
  16. kevbo

kevbo iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wish it was supported too. Anyone else remember the days where top web designers would come out with an ultra cool flash design every few months specifically 2advanced? They're still around and all, but I bet they won't be able to use flash much longer. Any large company (many of 2advanced customers are) who has a decent technology advisor is going to put that stuff on hold. But I do miss it.

HTML5 is a coding language right? Versus Flash which is developed by something like Flash CS4, a very artist oriented tool. Perhaps it will work for most video (although I can't stream live video at any news sites, why?), but will it work for games and flash "apps"? I've seen that they have a couple of games on HTML5, but it was Doom or something. Flash games are vibrant and somewhat easy to make. I think we'd be doing the internet a disservice by ridding it of artist-oriented, rich content like Flash. There needs to be an alternative.

Anyone else think that Apple is doing this to "protect" us from free Flash games that could potentially harm their Apps Store revenue.
  17. BassGear

BassGear iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It sux the iPad don't have flash, I understood this when I pre-ordered it, and I'm still happy with my iPad, but would enjoy it more with flash.
  18. Npred

Npred iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Flash

Completely agree. I have no opinion on the technology itself but when you can't play a video on your favorite sites it just makes you wonder if you made the right call buying an iPad. When ipad is launched in the uk loads of people will want to use the BBC iPlayer to watch tv but they won't be able to with the ipad. Any Brits reading should think about that before buying.
  19. kevbo

kevbo iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So what happens if Flash makes a comeback? Android is already bigger than the iPhone, which may likely happen with the tablet scene since it seems Google's Android will be quicker to the scene this time. Will Steve Jobs be so arrogant as to continue making excuses about adding support it? Adobe has already shown that tablets can run Flash flawlessly.

I love my iPad. I've been using it 6+ hours a day. But if a nice Google is announced this week or early next, I'm taking it back. Android has its shortfalls, but its not a result of hubris on the part of the CEO.
  20. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Yep, there are so many people who just want the website to work and will have no clue why it doesn't.

+1 in the group who wants Apple and Adobe to play nice.

Show me something like Farmville in HTML5 and maybe I'll be a little more understanding. The best I've found are a few small proof-of-concept sites with rather poor support for various browsers (including Safari).:ipad-keyboard: