1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Adobe Flash

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Vicseadog, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vicseadog

Vicseadog iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, Ipad will crealy be the best of tablets since Adobe Flash will be available next week. Apple rocks.
  2. richsadams

richsadams iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
  3. Somerled

Somerled iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    I'm gonna need a new dead horse to kick...

Cant this forum create an area for ALL FLASH posts and move all these posts to it? I know it isn't that hard.
  4. ipaduser434

ipaduser434 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah. Maybe on AOL?
  5. NAYo2002

NAYo2002 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Who told you it'll be out next week?
  6. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Name it " dead horse" section.

Support Our Troops!
    This post was Tapatalk approved
    Sent from my iPad
  7. Jfinx

Jfinx iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Adobe to apple ... "you win"

Saw this, I am not really to sure what it means. But it does make me hopeful.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...-towel-adopts-http-live-streaming-for-ios.ars

Adobe throws in towel, adopts HTTP Live Streaming for iOS
    By Chris Foresman | Last updated a day ago

Adobe previewed some new streaming video capabilities of its Flash Media Server at the 2011 National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) trade show, including new compatibility with iOS devices like the iPad. Instead of getting Steve Jobs to relent on his "thoughts on Flash," however, Adobe is instead adding HTTP Live Streaming support to Flash Media Server.

HTTP Live Streaming is a protocol that Apple developed to stream live and recorded video using standard HTTP connections instead of the more difficult to optimize RTSP. It uses H.264-encoded video and AAC or MP3 audio packaged into discrete chunks of an MPEG-2 transport stream, along with a .m3u playlist to catalog the files that make up the individual chunks of the stream. QuckTime on both Mac OS X and iOS can play back this format, and it is the only streaming format compatible with the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

Apple submitted HTTP Live Streaming to the IETF in 2009 as a proposed standard, though it doesn't appear that the standard ever moved beyond the draft stage. However, Microsoft quickly added support to its IIS Media Services server, which is used to deliver "smooth streaming" video to Silverlight-based clients. When IIS Media Services detects an iOS device, it instead packages and delivers the content using HTTP Live Streaming.

Adobe added its own HTTP-based streaming feature to Flash Media Server last year. Similar to Apple's solution, it breaks up H.264 video into chunks saved as separate files and sends those files to a client over HTTP. The difference is that its HTTP Dynamic Streaming uses an XML-based manifest file (instead of a plain-text playlist file) and the MPEG-4 fragment container format (.f4f). Also, it's only compatible with Flash or AIR.

However, Adobe is "committed to developing technologies that simplify broadcast workflows to make it simpler to reach a fragmented lineup of devices," according to senior product manager for Flash Media Server Kevin Towes. Towes noted in a blog post that Adobe is adding HTTP Live Streaming support to Flash Media Server and Flash Media Live Encoder. "By adding support for HLS within the Flash Media Server, Adobe is reducing the publishing complexity for broadcasters who need to reach browsers supporting HLS through HTML5 (such as Safari) or devices where Adobe Flash is not installed."

In other words, instead of trying in vain to persuade Apple to build Flash into iOS, or losing potential Flash Media Server customers to some other iOS-compatible solution, Adobe seems to be implicitly acknowledging that content publishers need Flash-free video streaming.

It's also worth noting that Flash Media Server will also be served to compatible clients on non-iOS platforms, including Safari on Mac OS X. Apple recently began selling its portable computers without Flash pre-installed, and we discovered that running Safari without Flash seemed to increase battery life of the latest MacBook Air as much as 33 percent. While Adobe has claimed to be working on a MacBook Air-optimized version of Flash, perhaps the company decided it was prudent to cover all bases and serve up content to Mac users who are choosing to not install Flash on their systems (yours truly included).

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
  8. blessed

blessed iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    For those of us who are not as swift as the others, how do we get the flash player? I didn't read when it's coming or how to get it; probably because I didn't read all of it :)
  9. Dorje

Dorje iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    [​IMG]

THIS IS NOT FLASH!!! Go back and read the thing again! If it's making your eyes hurt go into General > Accessibly > VoiceOver turn it on and have your iPad read it to you.

(on the up note I found where Wizards of the Coast hid all of their lovely emoticons when they went screwing around with their boards [​IMG])

Actually I do the VoiceOver reading myself all the time on my iPod. It's made me wish Apple had a quick key to just have it start and stop reading like you can in the Mac OS.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  10. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    Okay guys. Granted this is a sensitive topic ~ but perhaps we can enlighten the OP.

Calmly and respectively ~ if not then don't enter the thread.:)
  11. Vicseadog

Vicseadog iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, maybe I owe you an appology for this small confussion. In the topic I ment Flash Media Server streamimg capabilities, not the Flash Player. However, in my opinion this will be great step towards the Flash support.

My appologies to those whoom I got upset.
  12. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    It is not Flash Player, but it will be a part of an upcoming update to the Flash programs used to create the web sites. The only issue I see, is whether this is a minor update that will be issued to all users, or if it is a paid major upgrade that will require web designers to do a lot of work to implement it.

A major upgrade is not going to be that popular, and probably most sites that would do that, have already switched to alternate methods to get streaming media to mobile devices. A minor update will catch most of the people that are unwilling to spend more time/money than they absolutely have to on updates. Provided they have a current version of Flash to begin with.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. youngun

youngun iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    [​IMG]
  14. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Poor horse. :)
  15. Sjwred

Sjwred iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yea, the horse is called Flash LOL
  16. iPadFly

iPadFly iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm ready for the day that the iPad and iPhone are truly flash enabled. I also agree though that content publishers should make sure it works on these smart devices. I know that knowledgeable content publishers are already doing this. It just makes sense to enable the device rather than having everyone change their content. imo
  17. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Everyone is having to change their content anyway. Technology is not static. Apple is just doing what others would like to do. It is hard for the new tablets to compete, so they latch onto anything that the iPad will not do. It is like the fact that they cannot compete with the app store, so they concentrate on trying to one up on the specs.
  18. Vicseadog

Vicseadog iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well said Seadog

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  19. Mio_BB

Mio_BB iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree, but no matter how good specs are, You will still need a decent selection of apps to make good use of the device.

Imagine if You had a Ferrari, but no roads to drive it on...... How much fun would that be?
  20. richsadams

richsadams iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    Soooo, how long did you say that you could hold your breath? :D