What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

adjusting screen brightness causes crash

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an iPad mini 2 which screen broke into pieces and I had to replace the digitizer to make it work again. I bought a package off ebay and it booted up fine. The problem that appeared later was that every time I tried to adjust the screen brightness using the slider in control center it caused the iPad to crash. Black screen. I had to hold the Home and Power bottons for a few seconds until it reboots and I can use it again. After many more sudden crashes I realized that I should uncheck the setting that changes the brightness automatically based on ambient's brightness and cover the front camera and the sensor next to it to prevent it from happening again. It did not crash anymore but it is annoying to have a dim display all the time, even during the day in the street. So I would like to fix this issue, but I'm not sure where to look into. Is this a problem with the digitizer? Have I damaged the circuit behind the screen? Should I change the screen all together? Could anyone here suggest where should I start with to look into the problem?

It's an ME800B/A model (Retina, Cellular) running iOS 10.0.2.

I thank you all for the great forum and any help in advance!
Zand

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you replace the LCD as well or just the digitizer? Another question, when dissembling the iPad , did you unplug the battery before unplugging the LCD and digitizer ? If you didn't , then it is possible that the backlight circuit was damaged , though this usually kills the backlight altogether. I recommend checking out mendonipadrehab.com who may be able to provide more detailed assistance.

OP
C
Reaction score
Did you replace the LCD as well or just the digitizer? Another question, when dissembling the iPad , did you unplug the battery before unplugging the LCD and digitizer ? If you didn't , then it is possible that the backlight circuit was damaged , though this usually kills the backlight altogether. I recommend checking out mendonipadrehab.com who may be able to provide more detailed assistance.

Thank you for your reply. I only replaced the digitizer. The display remained untouched. Also I did not unplug the battery during the whole process. Perhaps it's also worth mentioning that it happened twice to my iPad and the first time that I changed the digitizer, everything went well and there was no problem with the backlight at all. It was only after the second accident and replacement that the trouble began. I will check the website you mentioned right now. Thanks again!

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You really need to unplug the battery during the process. Not doing so can damage the backlight circuit and may have done so in your case. Try disassembling the ipad and make sure the LCD is properly connected, also consider trying it with another or old digitizer to see if the same thing happens, Remember, unplug the battery before anything else and plug it in last when reassembling..

Most reactions

Latest posts