What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Address/phone book app

FatCynt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking for an address book app and I cannot find one anywhere. I do not want any of the contact apps that I have found in the store because I don't want my contacts downloaded. And most of those apps do not really allow you to add contacts to the address book; you can add them to one of the existing groups.

I am just want a simple address/phone book to add names, phone numbers, addresses, email addresses to. Does anyone know if this exists?

Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to ask: what's wrong with the stock Contacts app? It does all that you say you are looking for.

Just wondering.

Marilyn

OP
F

FatCynt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Marilyn for replying. I do not want my work contacts in the address book and I can't delete them out (at least I can't figure out how to do it without deleting them permanently). I would n't mind if I could make another group and put them all in there and keep them separate, but can't figure out how to do that either. Now I'm starting to think it's me. Anyway, I just want an address book with just my personal address and phone numbers in it.

Cynthia

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you use iCloud to sync your contacts, you can create groups by using the web interface at icloud.com (from a computer browser).

The groups will sync back to your device.

Or, if you have two email accounts, like iCloud and Google, you can keep your business addresses in one and personal in the other. Both accounts can be set to sync with Contacts in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars: Accounts.

When you have groups in iCloud, or more than one account syncing, a Groups button will appear above the contact list. You can tap that to choose what accounts and/or groups will show in the list.

A downside is that you can not easily choose what contact or group a new contact will be added to when creating one from the iPad. All you can do is choose the default account in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

No doubt there are third party contact apps that offer better control and features, but since Contacts meets my simple needs I've never tried any of them. Also, since I own a Mac, I can use the computer version of Contacts to edit and organize when needed; which is quite a bit easier than using iCloud.com.

OP
F

FatCynt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you tweppoet. I did not realize I could use the cloud like that. I will check it out. I'm not really keen on using the cloud, but it seems to be my only option.

Thanks again
Cynthia

OP
F

FatCynt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took your advice and it does do what I want. I am able to manage my work and personal contacts just how I would like. My only issue is I do not like having information on the cloud. But I am going to use it for a while and see what happens. Thank you for all your help.

Cynthia

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are going to have a cloud service, and you are worried about privacy; Apple's iCloud solution is one of the best choices. Everything is encrypted on the servers, and they have every incentive to keep your stuff private, even from themselves. If for no other reason than that they tout 'privacy' as one of their major selling points vs Android devices.

Now for glitches and losing data, Google has the better reputation. That's not to say iCloud is really bad, just that it's been known to happen. Which is why I'll point out that there is also a VCF export option in the icloud.com tool bag. Use the gear icon to Select All, then the same icon to Export. If you want some extra insurance, do this ever month or two, or whenever you've done some major contact editing.

OP
F

FatCynt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel a little better after reading your post. I will export to make sure I keep my contacts if anything happens on iCloud. Thanks again twerpoet and Mickey.

Cynthia

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is an app in the App Store called "Groups" which will do what you want. It's listed specifically for the iPhone , but you can search under "iPhone only". It's fine if you can put up with the lower resolution on the iPad screen.

Most reactions