What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding sub-folders to ipad email inbox

Jimdavidson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to the ipad and would like to add sub-folders to the email inbox similiar to what I have in Windows mail. Can I do this and how ?
Jim D

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If, and only if, you have an Exchange account, you can do this:

When in the Mail app, on the left side, at the bottom - press on one of your Exchange accounts. Then, press the gray "Edit" button at the top of that left side. Then, at the bottom, you'll see yet another gray button titled "New Mailbox." Pressing that will bring up an "Edit Mailbox" window, where you can name a new mailbox and determine in which Exchange account you wish to place that folder/mailbox.

Again, this will not work with a POP account, only with Exchange mail accounts (or the Gmail account that's not an Exchange account).

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jim and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If, and only if, you have an Exchange account, you can do this:. . .(or the Gmail account that's not an Exchange account).
Marilyn

And IMAP accounts, which is what the "Gmail that's not an Exchange account" is, by default. :D Though it can be set up as POP (hisss booo) :p

iCloud and Yahoo are also IMAP, though only on iOS devices can you connect to Yahoo's IMAP servers for free (still wondering what kind of deal Apple cut there). Many email providers have both POP and IMAP servers, so it's always worth looking at your support pages to see if you can change your account type. If you do, it's best to do it on all your devices and computers. POP and IMAP mix poorly.

OP
J

Jimdavidson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn, I am new to EXCHANGE accounts. What exactly is it, how do i use it and will it work on my desktop with windows mail which is currently a POP3 account ? How do I put it on my ipad ?
Jim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Like IMAP, you can only use an Exchange account if your email provider supports it. Check their support pages or contact them and ask.

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have a normal yahoo, or Gmail email account you can't add folders from your IPad. You can create folders on your computer and the you can use then with you iPad. You just can't creat them with your iPad.

My people don't create new folders a lot so this is a good and free work around. If you must create folders using you iPad, then you will have to use exchange. Yahoo charges 20.00 bucks a year to have POP acess to there account.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
With iOS 5, it is possible to add folder on the iPad with both IMAP and Exchange accounts. Pre iOS 5 you can't do it with either on the iPad, but can do it on the email websites or with the computer client as you described.

While Yahoo does require money for POP (and now IMAP I believe) access, Apple seems to have swung a deal with them. When you use the default Yahoo account options on iOS devices you end up with an IMAP account. That is the way it behaves anyway. This would be a pain for me if Yahoo were one of my primary accounts, but as it is I get so little email, and from no one important, that it's fine if it only shows up on the iPad and iPHone, or when I get around to checking it on their site.

Most reactions