What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding photos from my PC

susib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I want to add some photos from my PC to my iPad. I connect my iPad, go to photos and pick the folder I want to sync. But then I get a message saying that all other photos will be deleted from my iPad. How do I just add the photos from my PC without losing all the others?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi

I want to add some photos from my PC to my iPad. I connect my iPad, go to photos and pick the folder I want to sync. But then I get a message saying that all other photos will be deleted from my iPad. How do I just add the photos from my PC without losing all the others?

There are photo transfer apps, available in App Store, which allow to access photos from a computer via Wi-Fi. You could try one of these. Just search for "photo transfer" in App Store, you'll get plenty of results. Some of the apps are free.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Place all the photo folders that you want to sync into another master folder. Choose that folder to sync. Each subfolder will become an album in the Photos app. Create only one level of subfolders. sub-subfolders will not be recognized.

iOS and iPod: Syncing photos using iTunes

This is because you are not copying photos to the iPad, exactly. Instead you are setting up folder(s) to be synced with the iPad. That means that any changes you make to those folders and their contents will also be made on the iPad the next time you sync.

Also, photos added to to the iPad's Photos app this way can only be removed by changing the the sync settings in iTunes and syncing again. You can not delete photos in synced albums on the iPad. So if you don't care for using iTunes on the computer for this task, you'll want to consider alternatives, as Johanna suggested.

If you want more options to copy and control how your photos appear on the iPad a third party app. Many members recommend Photo Manager Pro. This keeps a separate database of photos from the Photos app and offers alternate ways to copy photos to/from the iPad. There are lots of other photo manager apps, so shop around a bit before settling on one that meets your needs best.

OP
S

susib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. As it's not something I need to do on a regular basis, I decided to put the photos into Dropbox and then used the Dropbox app on my iPad to save them. I'm too scared of losing the ones I've already got as happened when I tried to sync music

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. DropBox is also a good solution. Though you won't be able to view the photos offline unless you favorite them.

OP
S

susib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once I had them in Dropbox, I tapped on each one and saved them to camera roll so they're now actually saved on the iPad. It's ok if the aren't too many. If it ran into the hundreds I'd have to think again!

Most reactions