What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding new photo album. Do I have to re-sync all exisiting albums?

Dee Bee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgive me for reposting this previously posted query but I do need an answer as it is driving me nuts!

I had several albums of photos on the iPad. I created a new (additionanl) folder/album in My Pictures, opened iTunes, chose the new album (only the new album) from the checklist of albums to sync.

This action loaded the new album on the iPad and wiped out the others.

Do I need to checkmark and re-sync EVERY existing album when I add a new album of photos?

In other words, I have an album "A", and album "B", and album "C" on the iPad. I want to augment these with album "D". Do I need to checkmark and resync A, B, and C just to add D?

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - That's how it works

Happened to me too.
The Music application of the iPAD is pure sh...

It is the most un-professional program I ever seen.
Not only that you have to put a sign on all the Albums you need to transfer, It also open a duplicated directory with all the photos. A directory which is even larger then the original one. reason is (I think) is that the iTune program is performing some kind of manipulation on the songs, and transfers not the original MP3 but something else.

Yes . It will duplicate the space.

What ever is not assigned, in the iTune - will be erased.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, you should remove the pictures currently in the Camera Roll (Photos), so you won't be duplicating everything. You can do this by un-checking "Sync Photos from..." and syncing, this will delete all of the photos on the iPad

You need to setup a folder, on your PC under "My Pictures", such as "iPad Pictures" and make all of the folders you want, with the pictures you want in them (copy, move or drag and drop, your choice), under that folder. Then go into iTunes, under PHOTOS and select "Sync Photos from" and change "My Pictures" to "Choose Folder" and then choose the folder you created "iPad Pictures" open it and select the folders you want to sync to the iPad. Then sync them.

If you delete the pictures off of the iPad first, you won't have duplicates. I deleted the photos from the iPad and added 1.3gb of photos in folders to the iPad and the total pictures added according to iTunes and iPhoneBrowser was 1.3gb, not 2.6gb, as some suggest, therefore no duplicates.

Also, yes, you must have everything you want kept on the iPad checked. You should only have to do this once. This applies to music, books, ..., most everything on the iPad. It's the only way iTunes knows you do or do not want things kept on the iPad. They will still be in iTunes, if they are not checked, just not on the iPad.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dee Bee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All is now clear

Many thanks Pocobear for your comprehensive response.

I can now see the logic. I have also noted that, although you need to keep the albums you want to keep on the iPad ticked in iTunes, if you watch the progress bar only the added album(s) are processed.

Query solved. Many thanks again.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you by chance remove these folders from your pc?

I learned that pictures that you sync to your ipad must always be in your pc even if you have successfully synced them already. Otherwise, they get deleted the next time you back up and sync.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you by chance remove these folders from your pc?

I learned that pictures that you sync to your ipad must always be in your pc even if you have successfully synced them already. Otherwise, they get deleted the next time you back up and sync.

Makes sense, as you are syncing them, syncing as in making them alike or the mirror image of each other, at least making the iPad reflect what's on the PC folders. So if you delete something on the PC, then it would be deleted from the iPad.

Never really thought about that. However, if you wanted to keep something, why would you delete it on the PC? It's like deleting the master copy.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
However, if you wanted to keep something, why would you delete it on the PC? It's like deleting the master copy.

I burn them to dvd , so if my pc accidentally crash. I already have a copy.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I forget that most people don't do any backups of their computers. Easy to forget, when you have a home server backing up everything all the time. I also have spare drives that are bootable clones of my main drives. I'm paranoid, you think??:)

Most reactions

Latest posts