Add translate to safari right-click context menu

Discussion in 'iPad Air Forum' started by ensky28, Aug 17, 2014.

1. ensky28

ensky28 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    SOS I'd like to add a "translate" menu to safari browser website, that is whenever I right-click a word, phrase or paragraph it will give an option to translate (any preferred language). Currently, safari on iPad Air only gives "copy" or "define". I would like to add "translate" to that. Appreciate your help.

2. J. A.

J. A. iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,784 / 6
    Hi, welcome to iPF!

Depending on the dictionaries you installed on your iPad, you get a translation when you select "Define":
    image.jpg
    To see which dictioniaries you use, tap "Manage". This will show you which ones are available. Those with a cloud can be downloaded. Tap the cloud to install a dictionary. When they are installed, they look like this:
    image.jpg

Hope that helps.

3. ensky28

ensky28 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Appreciate it. Yes, I've seen that. I guess if "translate" can't be added then "define" option might work, BUT do you know or is there an option to add to the list like German-English dictionary? Thanks.

4. J. A.

J. A. iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,784 / 6
    Sorry, my bad!

The dictionaries don't translate, only in certain cases. To get a translation, you'll need an app, such as PONS Online Dictionary, or dict.cc. You can't get a translation in Safari itself, except if the website offers a German version as well.

There is a German dictionary (Duden - Wissensnetz Deutsche Sprache), but it doesn't translate from English to German.

5. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,975 / 1
    Tried to make a Google Translate bookmarklet work. No luck.

6. ensky28

ensky28 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Still no answer to this question ha? Again the problem is: a foreign word, say German, in a safari website and I'd like to know the meaning in English. Currently safari allows a right-click that gives you 'copy' or 'define'. 'Define' gives you a preset list of references but none of what I wanted. Is there a way to add to that list? Or perhaps a way to add 'translate' along with copy and define when execute right-click? Thanks in advance to the safari genius out there?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  7. J. A.

J. A. iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,784 / 6
    There's no setting that translates automatically. In Safari, you have Define and Copy. It's also not possible to add this feature on a stock iPad.

I've found an app that should translate in Safari when you tap a word: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tap-translate/id414727890?mt=8

It's not free, and I don't know if it translates correctly.

If there are just a few words here and there that you don't understand, it's certainly better to use a dictionary app.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014