What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add new maileboxes

Laurieth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to add new mailboxes but do not know how, I have several called inboxes but am not sure anymore how I added them. I am new to the IPAD and not very computer literate.

ALL HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

OK - now down to your Mail problem. In the iPad's native 'Mail' app, each separate email account has its own 'InBox'. Those are set up automatically when you establish the email account. You should also have boxes named 'Trash' and 'Sent Mail' and 'OutBox' and 'Drafts' - all of which are set up when the email account was first established.

OK - now for the difficult part. If you've used a PC before and used Microsoft Mail or Outlook Express - or if you've used a web-based mail program like Google - you'll be used to being able to create your own mailboxes - say 'Family' or 'Friends' or 'Business'.

Well, there's some good news and some bad news. Let's get the bad news out of the way first (but don't despair, there's a fix!). In the iPad's native 'Mail' app, unlike Microsoft Mail or Google, you can't independently create your own Mailboxes. iPad 'Mail' has no facility for doing this.....

OK - now the good news - but, and forgive me but you did say that you weren't very computer literate - this might be difficult for you to set up, but you can get the iPad 'Mail' app to 'import' the MailBox structure that you have setup in, say, your Google account. So, if you have several MailBoxes set up in Google - say, 'Friends', 'Family', 'Business' etc you can arrange for this structure to be 'imported' into the iPad 'Mail' app. This means that, if you want a new MailBox in the iPad 'Mail' you need, first of all, to create it in Google or whatever email service you're using. You have to do it that way, create it in, say, Google and then it will automatically 'sync' with the iPad.

It's probably easier if we take this in stages!! This 'automatic' import of the, say, Google MailBox structure (I'm only using Google as an example) won't necessarily happen automatically, you might need to do some 'technical stuff'.

If your iPad email settings were 'automatically' set up when you - or someone else - initially set up your iPad when it was new, it's almost certain that those settings reflect what was on your PC - and those settings might (good news) or might not (slightly bad news) be correct to import the MailBox settings from, say, Google.

So - some questions - can you tell me what email service provider you use - Google, Hotmail etc or someone else?
Was your email 'sync'd to your PC or was it set up independently by someone else - perhaps the store where you bought your iPad.
How do you access your email from your PC? Do you use an email 'client' like Microsoft Mail or Thunderbird or do you access it via a web-browser, such as Internet Explorer.

Please make sure you don't send any confidential information - we don't need to know your account ID and most certainly not your password. But if we can get a slightly better idea of your current setup, then we'll be able to help you through this. Please don't worry about 'bothering us' either. We're all iPad enthusiasts and just *love* a challenge - so it's fun for us!!

So, to sum up, we *can* fix this problem and help you get your MailBoxes set up how you'd like to see them. It might involve a bit of technical stuff in the iPad's 'Settings' app, where all these sort of mysterious things are kept, but we'll 'hold your hand' through the process....

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free from

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...User_Guide.pdf

Tim
Scotland

OP
L

Laurieth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

OK - now down to your Mail problem. In the iPad's native 'Mail' app, each separate email account has its own 'InBox'. Those are set up automatically when you establish the email account. You should also have boxes named 'Trash' and 'Sent Mail' and 'OutBox' and 'Drafts' - all of which are set up when the email account was first established.

OK - now for the difficult part. If you've used a PC before and used Microsoft Mail or Outlook Express - or if you've used a web-based mail program like Google - you'll be used to being able to create your own mailboxes - say 'Family' or 'Friends' or 'Business'.

Well, there's some good news and some bad news. Let's get the bad news out of the way first (but don't despair, there's a fix!). In the iPad's native 'Mail' app, unlike Microsoft Mail or Google, you can't independently create your own Mailboxes. iPad 'Mail' has no facility for doing this.....

OK - now the good news - but, and forgive me but you did say that you weren't very computer literate - this might be difficult for you to set up, but you can get the iPad 'Mail' app to 'import' the MailBox structure that you have setup in, say, your Google account. So, if you have several MailBoxes set up in Google - say, 'Friends', 'Family', 'Business' etc you can arrange for this structure to be 'imported' into the iPad 'Mail' app. This means that, if you want a new MailBox in the iPad 'Mail' you need, first of all, to create it in Google or whatever email service you're using. You have to do it that way, create it in, say, Google and then it will automatically 'sync' with the iPad.

It's probably easier if we take this in stages!! This 'automatic' import of the, say, Google MailBox structure (I'm only using Google as an example) won't necessarily happen automatically, you might need to do some 'technical stuff'.

If your iPad email settings were 'automatically' set up when you - or someone else - initially set up your iPad when it was new, it's almost certain that those settings reflect what was on your PC - and those settings might (good news) or might not (slightly bad news) be correct to import the MailBox settings from, say, Google.

So - some questions - can you tell me what email service provider you use - Google, Hotmail etc or someone else?
Was your email 'sync'd to your PC or was it set up independently by someone else - perhaps the store where you bought your iPad.
How do you access your email from your PC? Do you use an email 'client' like Microsoft Mail or Thunderbird or do you access it via a web-browser, such as Internet Explorer.

Please make sure you don't send any confidential information - we don't need to know your account ID and most certainly not your password. But if we can get a slightly better idea of your current setup, then we'll be able to help you through this. Please don't worry about 'bothering us' either. We're all iPad enthusiasts and just *love* a challenge - so it's fun for us!!

So, to sum up, we *can* fix this problem and help you get your MailBoxes set up how you'd like to see them. It might involve a bit of technical stuff in the iPad's 'Settings' app, where all these sort of mysterious things are kept, but we'll 'hold your hand' through the process....

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you donÂ’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free from

Tim
Scotland

I already had a gmail account, and when I bought my IPAD they did something in settings to set up the mail app that came on the IPAD. Are you saying to go in on my computer to add a mailbox and then the next time I get the email it dill come over?

Laurie

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, on the iPad with the list of mail showing, tap on the Mailbox button at the top left. You'll see a list of Inboxes at the top (if you have more that one). At the bottom you'll see a list of accounts.

If you choose the Inbox, you see only the inbox. If you choose the account, you'll see all the folders that currently sync with your Google GMail account.

Like Tim said, if you need more folders, create them using the GMail on the web. The web-side client calls them Labels, not folders.

In order to get a new folder to show up in Mail, I had to go to Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendars, open my GMail account, and turn off mail using the switch. I checked Mail to make sure my GMail boxes had disappears, then went back to settings to turn email back on. After that the new mail folder was available in Mail.

That might not be necessary. If you are patient the new folder will probably appear by itself, eventually.

Last edited:

The_Eck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another request for Mail folder help

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free from

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...User_Guide.pdf

Tim
Scotland

Hi Tim,

1. the link above no longer works.

2. I'm a total iPad newbie here but have used Macs for ages. I did all the setup procedures through the iTunes sync settings and my iPad's mail works fine.

Except for the lack of mailboxes that exist on my Mac's Mail.app program. I have a dozen or so that I'd like to either copy to the iPad (content doesn't matter, just the mailboxes will do), or figure out how to create new mailboxes on the iPad, which you've already said is impossible. :)

My email account is an IMAP account on a shared server. No Microsoft or Google accounts.

If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears (eyes!).

Thanks,

-Tod

Reaction score
Settings , mail, add account on your Ipad .
You may need to know the ssl, etc

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

1. the link above no longer works.

2. I'm a total iPad newbie here but have used Macs for ages. I did all the setup procedures through the iTunes sync settings and my iPad's mail works fine.

Except for the lack of mailboxes that exist on my Mac's Mail.app program. I have a dozen or so that I'd like to either copy to the iPad (content doesn't matter, just the mailboxes will do), or figure out how to create new mailboxes on the iPad, which you've already said is impossible. :)

My email account is an IMAP account on a shared server. No Microsoft or Google accounts.

If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears (eyes!).

Thanks,

-Tod

There are two kinds of folders in the Mail app on your Mac. Local folders, which should show up under the heading ON MY MAC, and server side folders that should show up under your mail account. If you use MobileMe this is usually your mail address. My Gmail account folders show up under the unsurprising heading of GMAIL.

Only the account folders can be synced with your iPad.

You can create new MobileMe and GMail folders from the Mail app. Just click on the plus icon at the bottom of the folder lists and choose New Mailbox. Select the account you want to create the folder in, name it and click OK.

It might take a while, but the new folder should show up on the iPad. If it doesn't, go to the account under Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and turn the mail off then on again.

That worked for me the one time a new folder didn't show up promptly.

If you are using a different mail provider, YMMV.

The_Eck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks.

I have a personal site that is hosted by a hosting service that uses the "cpanel" control panel to do all my administrative tasks, including setting up various email accounts under my domain. So far I've been unable to figure out how to add secondary mailboxes to these accounts. The IMAP needs to have an IMAP path prefix of INBOX and there are four default secondary mailboxes created: Drafts, Sent, Trash, and Spam.

It looks like I'm screwed in this regard due to the nature of IMAP and what my hosting service allows. <sigh>

As noted in my original post I do not have any Google accounts so any references to setting things up using gmail don't help me a bit but I do appreciate your input.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Omph, can't help you there.

Have you called the support people for the hosting service? Might as well give them a chance to earn their money.

Most reactions

Latest posts