What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add email problem

Nandes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A friend who has a new iPad cannot manage to add his email account. His email ends @uwclub.net but the iPad will not recognise it. Please can anyone give step by step instructions about how to add this email address? Then I can try to help him do it. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a tab in the Settings app titled "Mail, Contacts, Calendars." If he doesn't already have an e-mail loaded on the iPad, pressing that tab line will bring him to the "Add Account" page (if he already has an e-mail loaded, press the Mail, Contacts, Calendars tab and select "add account" in the next page.

You will need to know what type of e-mail account your friend is trying to load: IMAP, Exchange or POP (his Internet Service Provider (ISP) will know if he doesn't). If all else fails, select "Other" from the options available.

Once you select a type of e-mail account to add, you will need the username and password. In addition, you may also need to know the name of the ISP's sent and receive mail server (again, that can be gotten from his ISP).

Once you've loaded in all the details, it should verify and then work.

Hopefully, this will get that e-mail loaded. it's hard to provide step-by-step instructions, what with all the different ISPs out there. If we're lucky, this'll get it working. If not, holler back and we take another try at it. Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
N

Nandes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn,
Thanks for info. I am joining my friend tomorrow to look at his problem. He now says he got the correct information from his provider but that the email is still not working. So I will see if can go over it with him and try test emails. I 've had an iPad for 18 months and absolutely love it. Enjoy using it very much, and have helped quite a few friends with Apps and their use. But not so hot on the 'nuts and bolts' of iPad use!
Thank you again for posting the directions. Notice you re from NY state? Hope weather not too severe. Nanette

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, good luck, tomorrow. Remember, someone is always here to help.

Marilyn

P.S. And no, we only got about 8-10 inches here (I live pretty far west of where the storm really was). So, all's good, thanks.

OP
N

Nandes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Success

Hi Marilyn,
Well I can report reasonable success. Our friend Dave had entered smtp as smpp so changing that resolved his main email address problem. It seemed to be working ok. Also his son in law had made him a new gmail address but that was nt working as an 'off' tab needed changing to 'on'. His next problem was how to print stuff from his iPad. I downloaded a Brother App but did nt manage to get that to find his wifi printer. Something to do with network settings. Think will leave him to try to sort it out. At least now he can email anything to his PC that does 'talk' to the printer so it is n't an urgent problem. Glad you are not 'snowed in'. I live in East Midlands of England so we don't get much snow. Usually only a couple of inches but did have 4-6 inches in January. Lovely for the youngsters!
Many thanks, Nanette

Well, good luck, tomorrow. Remember, someone is always here to help.

Marilyn

P.S. And no, we only got about 8-10 inches here (I live pretty far west of where the storm really was). So, all's good, thanks.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn,
Well I can report reasonable success. Our friend Dave had entered smtp as smpp so changing that resolved his main email address problem. It seemed to be working ok. Also his son in law had made him a new gmail address but that was nt working as an 'off' tab needed changing to 'on'. His next problem was how to print stuff from his iPad. I downloaded a Brother App but did nt manage to get that to find his wifi printer. Something to do with network settings. Think will leave him to try to sort it out. At least now he can email anything to his PC that does 'talk' to the printer so it is n't an urgent problem. Glad you are not 'snowed in'. I live in East Midlands of England so we don't get much snow. Usually only a couple of inches but did have 4-6 inches in January. Lovely for the youngsters!
Many thanks, Nanette
Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but with regards to the printer, make sure it is an Airprinter.
I am also in the East Mids and we had about 2" snowfall last night. Roads are clear now & no probs. more to come over this way tomorrow so they say. I know which side of the Atlantic I prefer to be at the moment! Hope our US cousins come out of this okay.

OP
N

Nandes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Printer prob

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but with regards to the printer, make sure it is an Airprinter.
I am also in the East Mids and we had about 2" snowfall last night. Roads are clear now & no probs. more to come over this way tomorrow so they say. I know which side of the Atlantic I prefer to be at the moment! Hope our US cousins come out of this okay.

Barçamad, thanks for your input. Yes I know Airpinter would be the thing. But, like me, our friends had bought a new printer before knowing they would have an iPad. However I got an Epson App which enables the iPad to send some files to my Epson printer. It all depends if a file will give me the option to 'open in' Epson print. When it does that's fine. So we ve had a little more snow today. Brrr! Is your name Spanish? Thanks

Most reactions