What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add audio file to iPad?

bookdoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad works fine and I have the new update. I've never been able to play a particular audio file (originally WMA format, just words, that I created) on the iPad unless it is connected to my Windows computer. I can see it in in the songs list of the iPad when it is connected to the computer but not otherwise. When I try to sync, the IPad says it isn't being recognized and that I must restore the original iPad settings, which I don't want to do since this would wipe out all the files. I have converted this audio file to the AAS format, whatever that it, but I'm really clutching at straws. Achieving this has been on my mind since I got the iPad nearly 3 years ago. Any suggestions? Thanks to all.

chinajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AAS will not work on the iPad. Change the WMA file to one that will, such as mp3. iTunes on the PC can do that I believe, as will WavePad.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My iPad works fine and I have the new update. I've never been able to play a particular audio file (originally WMA format, just words, that I created) on the iPad unless it is connected to my Windows computer. I can see it in in the songs list of the iPad when it is connected to the computer but not otherwise. When I try to sync, the IPad says it isn't being recognized and that I must restore the original iPad settings, which I don't want to do since this would wipe out all the files. I have converted this audio file to the AAS format, whatever that it, but I'm really clutching at straws. Achieving this has been on my mind since I got the iPad nearly 3 years ago. Any suggestions? Thanks to all.

Well, not sure why you needed 3 years to realize that the audio format you are trying to play is not supported by the iPad, as already suggested - ;)

Below are the audio codecs playable on the iPad - simply google for a program that will convert your WMA (Windows Media Audio - Apple just is not going to give you a break here!) to MP3 or AAC, probably the easiest solution - let us know if this is not clear. Dave :)

HE-AAC (V1)
AAC (16 to 320 Kbps)
Protected AAC (MP4 from iTunes Store)
MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps)
MP3 VBR
Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4)
Apple Lossless
AIFF
WAV

Most reactions

Latest posts