What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

add an app to bottom app bar

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i jusy installed 12.1.1

the app bar at the bottom has only four random apps message, which i never use, chrome, app store, and a game i installed. i cannot add any more. and if i want to remove i cannot remove message. i cannot drag an app to it like idid in old versions of ios

what can i do,,,,thx

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I assume an iPad mini, as I have 8 on my air2. Which model and system version?

I assume you have done so,but have you tried a reset?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a thin line like the one on my screenshot somewhere in the dock?
40ADB52B-3C39-4795-A77F-5F136AA58EA5.jpeg

The apps to it’s right are the recently used apps, and you can’t remove them by pressing and holding them and trying to drag them out of the dock. It’s also not possible to get an app into that part of the dock by dragging it there.

If you disable “Show Suggested and Recent Apps” in Settings - General - Multitasking & Dock - Dock, these apps will not show up in the dock.

The apps to the left can be removed as usual: press and hold until they start to wiggle, then drag them out of the dock. If Messages is the only app in that part of the dock, I’d suggest dragging one or more apps to the dock before removing Messages.

OP
A

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have an older mini that i reset recently and upgraded to 12.1.1
it has only 4 apps in the bottom box that is always switching to whatever was the latest app in use. with messages as the only one that is immovable. i cannot drag anything out or manually add anything

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can‘t remove recently used apps.

There should be that line i‘ve showed in my post above. Try moving an app from your homescreen to the left of the Messages app.

OP
A

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can‘t remove recently used apps.

There should be that line i‘ve showed in my post above. Try moving an app from your homescreen to the left of the Messages app.

how did i mess the line!!!!

thx

electra2009

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You‘re welcome.
Sort of relavent to poster I got rid of the dock "managing " for me, asked safri! I like all my apps in folders so am quite aware of the wiggle etc. would like to know in my 2018 why it is so difficult get the folder to accept the new app? Should I park it in the dock then wiggle it again into its folder, or am I missing something

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The procedure isn‘t more difficult than before.

If a folder doesn‘t „accept“ an app at first, hold the app into the folder until the folder enlarges a bit, or opens completely. Then adding the app to the folder will be quite easy.

electra2009

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If a folder doesn‘t „accept“ an app at first, hold the app into the folder until the folder enlarges a bit, or opens completely. Then adding the app to the folder will be quite easy.
Thanks that s what I must be doing when it accepts will just be more patientin future

electra2009

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thank you so much played at adding apps and have finally “got it” only taken me 6 years!

Most reactions