What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adapt Soundâ„¢ for iPad?

Hallen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We can live with slight hearing imbalances, but for many there is a substantial difference in frequency response and/or hearing threshold in our ears. The Samsung S-4 phone has effectively addressed this with the built-in app Adapt Sound™. Someone could (hopefully) make a ton of money with a similar app for iPad.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Settings > General > Accessibility > the Hearing section.

You can control Subtitles & Captioning, adjust the Left/Right volume balance, or force the headphones into Mono Audio mode.

I'm pretty sure the Mono and L/R controls have been there since iOS 5, if not earlier.

Apple has a great set of Accessibility controls, among the best in the industry.

OP
H

Hallen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Settings > General > Accessibility > the Hearing section.

Apple has a great set of Accessibility controls, among the best in the industry.
- Not really

I know all about those functions - I think you missed my point. Those settings have nothing to do with the frequency response curves, and loudness balance has little to do with hearing improvement.

Recommend you find someone who has a Samsung S-4 and see what Adapt Soundâ„¢ can do - you can actually see a "before" and "after" display of your frequency response curves for both ears. If you have something close to normal hearing, this won't mean much to you.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's good information. Thank you.

I still think Apple's accessibility controls stack up well against the competition, overall. But if the one thing you need isn't there, then it's a problem no matter what platform you're on.

However, no one is going to make a ton of money with that app for the iPhone, at least not in the App Store. Apple does not let third party apps control system resources, or other apps. Either Apple will have to add it themselves, or maybe a someone will make it for jailbreakers.

You can always leave feedback with Apple. They care about accessibility, so if enough people put a bug in their ear (pun?) they may add the feature.

Apple - iPad - Feedback

I could have sworn you mentioned volume levels and balance before, which is why I responded with the the accessibility settings. I realized they did not address everything you mentioned, but thought it was at least a partial answer. My memory often does this deja vu of a deja vu thing, making it hard to remember if I remembered, or I'm just remembering thinking about remembering. Or maybe I'm just confusing you with another poster. I do that too. :p

Most reactions