Ad hoc connection to a projector

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by ejomby, Jun 17, 2014.

1. ejomby

ejomby
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi. I am looking for a way to connect wirelessly, without a network, directly to a projector with my ipad mini. Do you know of anyway to do this? Are there any projectors out there that support this?

2. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think that's a tall order. The only possible connection methods would be BlueTooth or AirPlay, and BT is pretty hobbled on the iPad.

So are there any AirPlay projectors?

3. ejomby

ejomby
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ad hoc connections between PCs have been possible for at least 10+ years. Shouldn't be that hard to find them between iPads and projectors, right?

4. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't count on it. Right now AirDrop on a Mac is not compatible with Airdrop on an iPhone 5S. Things have a habit of being different in AppleLand.

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    One of the things that is supposed to be coming with iOS 8 is the ability to AirPlay directly to an Apple TV, without a shared network. If it happens, and it looks like it should, then all you need is an Apple TV and the appropriate cable to make any projector ad-hoc capable with your iPad.

Heck, with a good selection of cables, you could skip carrying the projector and just borrow whatever is available at your destination.

Until then, you still need a shared network (or connect directly to the projector from the iPad). Though you could carry your own router and set it up as a private network, just for your iPad, Apple TV, and projector.