What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Active x

shockathome

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been told installing this can be done on my iPad and I'd find the answer here? Anyone out there can help me.

Dickblakemore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is all very new to me and therefore excuse me if I am doing it wrong. I got caught out yesterday when I took my iPad to a course of instruction where everybody else had their laptops. The course required us all to go to a website and download a form for completion, having established our credentials with login name and password. I connected with the website and signed in as everyone else and whereas they all then downloaded the form my iPad closed down and went back to 'desktop'. The only thing that I could think of as a reason for its behaviour was the absence of Activex, but that is only a guess. I have enjoyed my iPad so far (8 months) but I cannot countenance using a machine which lets me down like that. I thought it was a grown-up machine. Is there anything that I can do short of buying a laptop to overcome the situation. I downloaded the program recommended on this forum but as far as I could see it made no difference. Help to re-establish the credentials of the iPad would be appreciated.
Dick Blakemore

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It sounds like Safari "crashed" it can do that now and then. Usually when your iPad acts screwy like that, doing a restart will clear it up. Hold the Sleep button for a few seconds, then move the "slider" to power off, wait a second and turn it back on. The iPad can "load up" a needs to be reset periodically.

For a "deeper" reset (if restarting doesn't clear up a quirk), hold the sleep AND home button for several seconds until it powers down, wait a few minutes, then restart.

These procedures work for clearing many weird behaviors, hope this helps you out!

Dickblakemore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your response, which worked, howbeit to a limited degree. I first tried the restart procedure which didn't make any difference and then used the deeper reset system which worked, enabling me to pick up the form that I had to work on on my course. However after I went through two subsequent screens in the process it blew out again and I have tried the remedy several times since and always it enabled me to start again, but not continue. I know (think) there is nothing wrong with the system as I have used Safafi on my PC to get into the work and use the form to its full extent. It therefore looks like there is something wrong with my Safari program on the iPad. What next please? At least my confidence in the basic concept of using the iPad as a working tool and not a toy is restored!
Dick Blakemore

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Safari on the iPad and on the PC are entirely different programs and have significantly different functionality. What was the format of the form you were trying to download? Was it PDF? Or Word?

Tim

Dickblakemore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The screen details end in .aspx which means nothing to me. I am a caseworker for a major charity and this whole system is national and controlled from a headquarters organisation. There is no mention on the screen that I can see which gives any indication of it being a .pdf or Word. Hope this helps. According tio the trainer I was the first trainee to turn up with an iPad!
Dick Blakemore

Dickblakemore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Robinilchrist,
I am afraid that I have not been able to see the content of your reply, just 3 small boxes with red crosses.
Dick blakemore

Dickblakemore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Tim, for that. I have spoken to the people in London and they say that actually what is happening when I make contact with their web site to complete their form is that I not downloading anything at all, simply opening a web page on their site. I am not sure whether that clarifies things or muddies them! Their system has been live for a yeqar or two and is accessed by caseworkers all over the country. They were not aware of anyone trying to use the system using an iPad but will make inquiries.
Dick Blakemore

Dickblakemore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

Do you think I should be trying to get this discussion moved to Safari or some other Forum as it seems likely that the problem is nothing to do with Activex

Dickblakemore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear Tim,

My people in London had no knowledge of anyone trying to use an iPad on our tasks but said that thery were aware that the program called 'Safarei' on iPad is a sub-set of the normal Safari browser program. I found that I could download Opera Mini on to iPad and I have done so and so far it works completely normally.

I suppose that's not a solution but it is a highly effective workaround. Perhaps I could leave it to you to tell those who need to know.

Dick Blakemore

Dickblakemore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear Tim,
Further to the above, my problem appears to have got worse. I have downloaded Opera and it seems to work adequately, whilst Safari seems to have developed another glitch. I found that I could not send outgoing e-mail from Mail from my iPad whilst in Northern Spain earlier this week and so I contacted my ISP to send via Webmail, and Safari refused to allow it although Opera permitted it. Is it simply possible to re-instal Safari, because I am quite happy with the program on my PC?
How do I move this thread into a more relevant area of the discussion forum?
Dick Blakemore

Most reactions

Latest posts