What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Activate AirPrint for Windows (Airprint to any Printer)

heybutch1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I've just got this working and it's amazing! I was going to spank £80 on a new HP printer to get AirPrint but found this post for free.

http://9to5mac.com/2010/11/25/activate-airprint-on-windows/

I have a wireless HP, PhotoSmart C4780, and a Windows Vista PC.

I simply downloaded the program, ran it (must run as administrator, grrrrrr wasted 10 mins on that), share the printer and add the AirPrint.exe to the firewall.

The printer then just pops up on the AirPrint list. I guess the only downside is that ur Pc has to be on.

Enjoy!!!

Rob

BobAZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cannot find AirPrint Activator for Windows.

Where can I download the file?

Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
FingerPrint gives you some extra options, like printing to a folder instead of a printer. It's a good way to output a PDF or picture to your computer with apps that support printing, but not an export/share option. Since you can set up about any folder, that means you can target a DropBox folder as well, giving you a quick way to output that file and immediately get it back on the iPad to Open In another app.

Handy if you say, wanted to make a PDF of a spreadsheet, and then annotate it in GoodReader.

There are other tricks and tweaks you can use that go beyond simply printing. Whether they are worth $10 to you, only you can answer.

I paid $20 for Printopia. The feature set is similar (and FingerPrint wasn't available yet).

I've set up a Receipts folder. Whenever I get a receipt by email I just print it to that folder (prefer that to burying it in an email archive). Along with the DropBox trick and a few other less used folders, I figure I've gotten my money's worth.

Parrori1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Won't work for me. Airprint shows in PC programs but don't see an airprint printer on my computer or when I look for one on ipad.

Last edited:

BobAZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Downloaded FingerPrint trial version, but all I get is the window open and a bar running from left to right saying "connecting to FingerPrint servers".

Nothing ever happens, so I cannot evaluate to see if I want to purchase – don't if it won't work.

Went to your URL for Airprint for Windows ("How to Install AirPrint to Enable Wireless Printing on Windows?") and the download has an error and thus won't work either.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

merman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Parrori1 said:
Won't work for me. Airprint shows in PC programs but don't see an airprint printer on my computer or when I look for one on ipad.

Same here. Everything seemed to go as expected in the instructions. Anyone have any troubleshooting input? I'm pretty sure it's supposed to work with a wired printer?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Same here. Everything seemed to go as expected in the instructions. Anyone have any troubleshooting input? I'm pretty sure it's supposed to work with a wired printer?

It should. After all, that's the whole point, but I don't have a Windows computer to do testing with.

@BobAZ, go to the FingerPrint site. If you can't find any helpful info there they should have some kind of contact or feedback. Hopefully they can resolve the issue.

Most reactions

Latest posts