What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Account for second iPad

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying to get all my ducks in a row before setting up my wife's new iPad2. I'm assuming we'll have to pay for a separate data plan on the second one right? No way to use both on the same one I suppose? And I read somewhere that you can't use the same email address for two different iPads and that you could switch one or both to post-paid from pre-paid to get around that. Is that the case? So that if I want to keep them both pre-paid I would need to use her email address on her iPad and mine on mine? Then would I be able to use the same credit card for both?

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder. Been using my pad for a couple of weeks here in my ‘pad’ and I haven’t needed the 3G service until I travel. Anywho, I believe you’re correct, as I haven’t heard of any sort of family plan for the iPad. I dumped my iPhone about a year ago whereby there was a family plan for that. Even if there is a family plan I'm confident it would be a true PITA.

Last edited:
OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I figured as much.:( Can anyone confirm whether or not I'll be able to use the same email address/credit card for the new iPad? I'd like to know before I dive into setting it up. Thanks.

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could ask your service provider about having a data plan that covers both devices. Businesses manage to get multi-user deals, so it may be possible for individuals/families (I don't know).

You could certainly have the same apps on both devices as long as you don't mind sharing the same iTunes account and having the same password. And there's no reason why you can't use the same email on both - many people do this (think of the users who have both an iPhone and an iPad).

brajoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
idave23 said:
I figured as much.:( Can anyone confirm whether or not I'll be able to use the same email address/credit card for the new iPad? I'd like to know before I dive into setting it up. Thanks.

Yes i have 2 iPads both on one account ,each with a separate code .when you plug in to I tunes all apps bought on that email and credit card may be downloaded to both I pads.for instance I bought FIFA 11 hd I paid once ,downloaded it to both iPads and we play each other as different teams through wifi.
I hope my answer helps you

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just go ahead and try doing the setup on the new one with the same info as the first and see what happens. If I run into any problems I may be back soon. LOL

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
idave23 said:
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just go ahead and try doing the setup on the new one with the same info as the first and see what happens. If I run into any problems I may be back soon. LOL

Well that's what I did and was able to set it up with the same email. We'll see what happens tomorrow when I set up the AT&T account. Thanks to all for the help.

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
idave23 said:

Well that's what I did and was able to set it up with the same email. We'll see what happens tomorrow when I set up the AT&T account. Thanks to all for the help.

So it turns out I did have to use another email address to activate the 3G account on the new one. Everything seems to be working now. Thanks again.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have seven iDevices on the same iTunes account. No problems.

You can't use the same data plan on two devices at the same time unless you're tethering, which means you'd have to be within wi-fi range of each other when using your iPads.

If you mean can you share a micro-SIM because both of you don't need 3G all the time, yes, that might be possible. I have grandfathered unlimited 3G from AT&T and I swap the micro-SIM between my iPad 1 and 2. (I checked with AT&T and they didn't have a restriction on that. Because I didn't want to jeopardize my unlimited, I asked them to note in my account file that I had called to check whether that was kosher. That was a CYA measure, in case the rep overlooked or misinterpreted AT&T's guidelines.) But I am the only person using that account, no matter which iPad holds the SIM at the moment.

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I have seven iDevices on the same iTunes account. No problems.

You can't use the same data plan on two devices at the same time unless you're tethering, which means you'd have to be within wi-fi range of each other when using your iPads.

If you mean can you share a micro-SIM because both of you don't need 3G all the time, yes, that might be possible. I have grandfathered unlimited 3G from AT&T and I swap the micro-SIM between my iPad 1 and 2. (I checked with AT&T and they didn't have a restriction on that. Because I didn't want to jeopardize my unlimited, I asked them to note in my account file that I had called to check whether that was kosher. That was a CYA measure, in case the rep overlooked or misinterpreted AT&T's guidelines.) But I am the only person using that account, no matter which iPad holds the SIM at the moment.

Thanks. No I was just seeing if we could get by on the cheap with two iPads. We'll just pony up the extra $15/mo. And enjoy them. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts