What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Accessing Windows program with iPad2

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am unable to access a program on my iPad and have been told that I can use Windows Parallel for this. Is this what I should do or is there another, better solution? I wanted to check with the folks here before acting on this. Thanks for any advice.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you mean you want to access something ON the iPad FROM your Windows computer? Because that's pretty much a no-go due to Apple's sand boxing. You really can't access a stock iPad except through an app, and that's usually to transfer photos or files. You don't have access to the file system as you can on a computer.

If I'm way off base, please let me know. Or, better yet, what are you trying to access? Maybe we can try to look at a solution form that angle...

Marilyn

OP
M

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, I should have been more clear. There is an proprietary business program that I'd like to access on my iPad. I don't want to access something using my iPad that's on my Windows-based computer, but I want to install and use the program on my iPad.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't under any circumstances run a Windows program on the iPad. Your only hope is if they make an app for it in the iTunes store. Parallels is a solution for running Windows programs on a Mac OSX computer, not an iPad.

Hope that helps.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Though you can use one of the remote desktop apps to access and run anything that is on your Windows computer, provided you're good with leaving that computer on and connected.

Splashtop is popular. There are several others.

lasllcap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
perhaps the easist thing to do is to get the person that "told" you it could be done and get he/she to explain it.

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, you can control your iGadgets from your laptop using Veency. I've presented A seminar doing so. However, must be JB to use that. I've also heard there is iRemote, but have not used it. There is also iDemo i have used, but you can't actually operate the iGadget from the laptop, but can view it.

jncbankston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've seen a handful (2 hands) who use Parallel versions 5, 6, 7 and have been able to 'load' it on their iPad.

It's a gamble at $59.95, but it's worth a try. Heck, I might do it for simple fact my kids want to play CD ROM games but said games are only on Windows and we've switched all electronics in the house to Cupertino. With Parallel, I might solve that issue. Will update this board when done.

Sent from Scooter, my White 32GB iPad, using iPF in Deutschland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I stand corrected. There is an app called Parallels Mobile for the iPad. It is however not a way to load and use Windows on your iPad, but a remote desktop app for accessing and running those apps on your Mac.

It require that you also have and run the Parallels Desktop Virtualization softwareon your Mac. ($79 + the price of Windows)

So what you are essentially doing is remoting into a virtual Windows environment on your Mac. A kind of double fake Windows solution.

This app should be a very nice bonus for those that are already running Parallels on their computer; but you can get pretty much the same remote access features for cheaper with Slashtop or LogMeIn.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hence the original answers ;)
The OP was clear:

MoneyGuy said:
I don't want to access something using my iPad that's on my ... computer, but I want to install and use the program on my iPad.

A remote desktop solution was not what they asked for. They don't have an OSX PC either. They have Windows.
What they asked for cannot be done. :)

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Hence the original answers ;)
The OP was clear:

A remote desktop solution was not what they asked for. What they asked for cannot be done. :)

Yes, I should have been paying closer attention. :eek:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Knew that, still it made me realize that not only had I gone off focus, but I started it. :)

Still, remote desktop and/or virtual desktops are the only ways of coming close to what the OP wants; even if those solutions are already rejected, the OP has little choice but to reexamine them, or give up.

At least on the iPad. The new Windows 8 tablets, rumored to be out sometime this year, may be a solution. Hard to say. I'm not too keen on them (from what I'm reading), but for someone who can't leave Windows at home, it may be a necessary evil. ;)

Last edited:

Most reactions