What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Access a USB HDD on a netwrok

vitalion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a bit of research here in the forum and online and didn't found any clear answer so i though to ask here.

So.. heres the situation: I am looking for an app that can access my USB HDD that is attached to my home router, the one provided by my ISP. I know that i can access my Mac and my PC laptop from iPad using apps such as FileBrowser or AirSharing HD, most likely some more similar apps are available out there, but the two that i have mentioned above as far as i know do not support this feture or they do not make it clear on their description. Although they say that they can access NAS they do not mention that they can access USB drives on a network.

In addition to that if that app can provide functions like the ones from FileBrowser or AirSharing HD (file browsing for mac/pc, acccess to NAS, dropbox and similar services integration) it will be even better.

I dont know if i made it clear on what i am looking for but yeah the major point is to access my Network attached USB HDD from my iPad from any wireless network... in case u need more info please let me know.

Thanks a lot for your time, hope that there is something out there. In fact if i had this app today when i went to a meeting it would have saved me a lot of time... anyhow that's another story!

Cheers
vitalion

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Sony laptop with a USB connected HDD and I use Splashtop to access this when I'm away from home. There's a free, limited viewing time, version available, so you can try it without risk. It's a remote desktop access app, but it gets the data from the HDD just fine.

Tim

tyreless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a usb hdd attached to a networked wdtv that I can access using filebrowser. It is better than I expected. I can instantly stream music, photos and movies (m4v) without needing to download them to the ipad.

So it doesn't answer your question directly but I suspect that, if this works for me, then a hdd connected directly to the router would also work.

Cheers,

Geoff aka tyreless

OP
vitalion

vitalion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I have a Sony laptop with a USB connected HDD and I use Splashtop to access this when I'm away from home. There's a free, limited viewing time, version available, so you can try it without risk. It's a remote desktop access app, but it gets the data from the HDD just fine.

Tim

Hey Tim,

Thank you for the reply! A remote access is not exactly what i am looking for for this particular scenario. But thanks a lot for this cos a remote access application is always handy when you are away! I will give it a try sometime and post you what i think! Is on sale as well so i might get since i am looking for a remote access app as well!

Thanks a lot,
Vitalion

OP
vitalion

vitalion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tyreless said:
I have a usb hdd attached to a networked wdtv that I can access using filebrowser. It is better than I expected. I can instantly stream music, photos and movies (m4v) without needing to download them to the ipad.

So it doesn't answer your question directly but I suspect that, if this works for me, then a hdd connected directly to the router would also work.

Cheers,

Geoff aka tyreless

Hey Geoff,

Hmmm i think is gonna work for my case as well! I will try to find some info online but so far more or less everyone says the same in some application review sites. There is a video in YouTube that demonstrates various feature of the app but is in Italian so.... Not really useful for me!

Cheers,
Vitalion

OP
vitalion

vitalion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Something else that came up today. Can i use GoodReader to access my files on my Mac and my NAS (not the one that is attached to the router via USB as i have said above) when i am not home? Assuming that i don't have the file that i need on any cloud service such as dropbox or SugraSync can i access it wireless via GoodReder's function 'connect to servers'.
As i have seen in this forum and in other blogs and websites regarding the "must have" application of the iPad, everyone suggests GoodReader as an essential app. I ve check out the app web site and is way more than just a good reader. so i was wandering if it provides this function. since is so cheap and has all those features i migh go with this solution instead of FileBrowser or AirSharing HD.

Cheers,
Vitalion

Most reactions

Latest posts