What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Accesory for USB charging?

nyc2sd30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all
I'm am a new IPad 2 owner and I love this thing. The USB ports on my computer apparently do not have enough juice to charge the IPad. Is there some kind of accessory I can buy to boost the juice coming from my USB? It's just a pain to unplug from synching and switch to the A/C adapter every night.

Other from that did I mention that I love this thing? :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe that there is a software patch for some new motherboards from ASUS that will boost the output of the USB port. There are some threads on this Forum about it.

Tim

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whilst it's possible that one or two manufacturers may do something the iPad requires more juice than the USB standard allows for. The only reason you have a USB cable is just so Apple don't need to use two ports on the iPad and two cables with each device. Keep in mind that iPads make up a tiny percentage of all USB devices so there is no case for a standards change just to suit Apple.
If you drive during the day why not just plug your iPad into a suitable (i.e. one that provides enough juice) 12v charger in the car while you are at the wheel?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually USB 3.0 provides 900mA of power which is fine for charging an iPad. This is the current USB standard. Apple is not asking anyone to do anything special, just use the standards.

-t

OP
nyc2sd30

nyc2sd30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do IMacs prove enough juice? I plan on ditching my HP and going all Apple with in 6 months anyway.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes. All current Apple computers provide enough current on the USB port to charge an iPad. USB 2.0 allows for devices to draw up to 500mA, however many computers support more than this, and all current Apple models do.

-t

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes what you say is correct but the reality is that probably 99.9% or greater of USB ports available on the market are neither USB3.0 or Apple high power ports.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
K1W1 said:
Yes what you say is correct but the reality is that probably 99.9% or greater of USB ports available on the market are neither USB3.0 or Apple high power ports.

Most PC motherboards can be told to make more power available.

Most reactions

Latest posts