What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Absolute beginner

Riverman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just like to say hello to all you folks out there who take the trouble to help out those like me who often find themselves baffled by the technology.
As an older member of the information explosion I've often lagged behind in keeping up to date with developments.
It was only when I brought my iPod touch I became free of the PC workstation and discovered the wonderful world of surfing the web wirelessly, while listening to my mp3s.
Now I've brought the new iPad things have, and can only get better, except of one thing! I can't update iTunes to ios5 as my old PC running windows XL almost completes the installation and then flags up a notice telling me that there's a problem with Windows Installer. It cannot continue the install, and rolls back the update without completing. This obviously means my new iPad isn't recognised and can't be synced.
Any suggestions for an absolute beginner?
And by the way thanks for the advice about initial difficulties in setting op my POP3 mail account, it worked a treat.
Many Thanks,
Riverman

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Have you the latest version of iTunes installed and have turned off your virus protection for the duration of the update.
Might also be an idea to reboot your PC.
I've moved your thread to our Help Section where you will receive a better response.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds as if you need an updated (or working) version of Windows Installer. My recommendation is to go the main Microsoft web site (www.microsoft.com) and do a search there for "windows installer." You should get presented with an option to click on a link to download Windows Installer. Be aware that there are several versions of the program - you'll need to select the one for your operating system. The good news is that the folk at Microsoft are pretty good because, if you click on the wrong version, you should get a notice at the top of the web page that tells you that you have accessed the wrong version.

I'd tell you which version specifically to get, but I have a Windows 7 computer. It runs a different installer version...

Once you've found the correct installer to download, click on the download box. Note that you may see several download boxes as you will also need to download things like licensing agreements and various other bits and bobs your system will need to install the newest software. Just ensure you download them all...

Once you've download them, your computer should automatically install them after the download is done. If not, click on the .exe file and get it started.

Once you've updated or repaired the Windows Installer, try installing your iTunes again. Hopefully, this time, it'll work.

Good luck and please, do let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
R

Riverman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your suggestions, I'm going to give them a try over the weekend, and let you know how I get on.

OP
R

Riverman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry it's been a while getting back to you. The good news is after several aborted attempts to download the installer clean up files, I have successfully installed IOS 6.1 ! I am so pleased to have sorted it with your help, now it's onto updating my IPod touch and synching the new IPad. Once again Thanks, I couldn't have done it without you

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Woohoo! Congratulations. Glad to hear you got it all sorted. And, thanks for the updated response. Always nice to hear back from folk on how things go.

Enjoy your iDevices. :)

Marilyn

Most reactions