Absinthed daemon

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by renamart, Aug 20, 2012.

1. renamart

renamart iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi I’ve noticed a process (presumably a daemon) in my Ipad called “Absinthed.k94â€, I wonder if it’s a legitimate part of iOS or it’s related to the jailbreak program “Absinthe†(I never did jailbreak)

It does not disappear if I kill all Apps, it only disappear if I fully shut down the Ipad

Anyone knows what is it? I browsed various forum but couldn’t really find a definitive answerHi I’ve noticed a process (presumably a daemon) in my Ipad called “Absinthed.k94â€, I wonder if it’s a legitimate part of iOS or it’s related to the jailbreak program “Absinthe†(I never did jailbreak)

It does not disappear if I kill all Apps, it only disappear if I fully shut down the Ipad

Anyone knows what is it? I browsed various forum but couldn’t really find a definitive answer
  2. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    It's a standard part of IOS. Nothing to worry about. No, I don't know what it does, but it's Apple supplied (its installed to usr/sbin/ when IOS is installed). The resemblance to the name of a jailbreaking tool does not signify that it was the jailbreak 'wot installed it! :D

It has been suggested, but not confirmed AFAIK, that the naming of this daemon by Apple inspired the naming of the Absinthe tool by the Chronic Dev Team...

The untether exploit for 5.1.1, named Rocky Racoon, gets it's name from the racoon IPsec IKE daemon, which is vulnerable to a string format overflow exploit, so there is plenty to base the naming of Absinthe on the absinthed daemon... :)
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  3. ParadoxFX

ParadoxFX iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi renamart. I assume the iPad you are using is an iPad 2? I say this because "k94" is the codename of the iPad 2 and absinthed is an iOS process thats used with Audio/video apps, if I am not mistaken. Anyway don't worry I have the same process just with "J2a" at the end, which is the codename for my iPad 3.

Hope this helped.
  4. renamart

renamart iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yes ipad2; thanks to everybody

Inviato dal mio iPad con Tapatalk HD