What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Absinthe won't run - even as Administrator

MonoJoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Having a rather unusual problem (I say that because I can't find any other reports of this issue) which I have Googled to no avail. Thought I'd ask here and if no joy I'll go the CLI option.

When I run Absinthe on my Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit PC here at work it says I must run this app as administrator. So I right click it and run as administrator - get the same message. Try running it in compatibility mode under XP SP3 (tried others too) as administrator - still get the same message. Got another IT admin here at work to try his user/pass under run as - no good. Tried domain admin credentials - no go!

So I'm out of ideas, it's one of those things that either works or doesn't I guess. The Absinthe I have says it's v 1.0.0.0 if I right click and check properties. I notice there's "earlier?" versions listed like 0.1.2.1 for download - but I assume they're inferior?

After all of that is the CLI option my only hope?

Cheers.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm afraid I can't help you with the PC/administrator part - cause generally, if it won't let you run, Windows is pretty stubborn about it. Sorry. :)

I also have the version 1.0.0.0, so I think that's the latest version that's out. I can't check to see if there is another because the Dev Team's blog is down right now.

So, yeah, if your Windows machine isn't behaving, it's probably time to do the CLI route. That's how I jailbroke my iPhone, so I know it works well. In fact, from observing this forum and our sister iPhone forum, it looks as if people are having more luck with the CLI version. Of course, and as always, YMMV.

In case you decide you have to go that route, may I be so bold as to point you at the tutorial I wrote for the CLI method: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...d2-5-0-1-absinthe-using-windows-cli-tool.html

Not to toot my own horn, you understand. But, it may be helpful to see all the steps laid out before you start...

Good luck and sorry you're having troubles. Please, let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
M

MonoJoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm afraid I can't help you with the PC/administrator part - cause generally, if it won't let you run, Windows is pretty stubborn about it. Sorry. :)

I also have the version 1.0.0.0, so I think that's the latest version that's out. I can't check to see if there is another because the Dev Team's blog is down right now.

So, yeah, if your Windows machine isn't behaving, it's probably time to do the CLI route. That's how I jailbroke my iPhone, so I know it works well. In fact, from observing this forum and our sister iPhone forum, it looks as if people are having more luck with the CLI version. Of course, and as always, YMMV.

In case you decide you have to go that route, may I be so bold as to point you at the tutorial I wrote for the CLI method: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...d2-5-0-1-absinthe-using-windows-cli-tool.html

Not to toot my own horn, you understand. But, it may be helpful to see all the steps laid out before you start...

Good luck and sorry you're having troubles. Please, let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Thanks heaps for that Marilyn, I'm currently in the process of CLI-ing and I'm up to injecting the payloads :) I didn't see your reply in time to use your tutorial (I'm sure it's fantastic :)) but I printed out the steps off a tutuorial site where i found a linke to the CLI download. Its up to the "Creating backup..." now which has taken a while - guess that makes sense the *pad is loaded with crap LOL.

Plus I get the added bonus of being "uber" for using command line ;-)

Cheers.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Plus I get the added bonus of being "uber" for using command line ;-)

Cheers.

And, really, that's what it's all about, isn't it? :D I, too, then, get to use the "uber" tag. Yay for me! :)

Well, that's if it worked for you. So - did it? Please, let us know...

TIA.

Marilyn

Phillips9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have aq 16gb iPad 2 wifi and 3G. Jailbreak by Absinthe just says jailbreak is in progress and after a while comes with "An error caused the program to stop...."
Afternumerous reinserting the cable the same happens.

Please assist

KlamHammer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Having a rather unusual problem (I say that because I can't find any other reports of this issue) which I have Googled to no avail. Thought I'd ask here and if no joy I'll go the CLI option.

When I run Absinthe on my Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit PC here at work it says I must run this app as administrator. So I right click it and run as administrator - get the same message. Try running it in compatibility mode under XP SP3 (tried others too) as administrator - still get the same message. Got another IT admin here at work to try his user/pass under run as - no good. Tried domain admin credentials - no go!

So I'm out of ideas, it's one of those things that either works or doesn't I guess. The Absinthe I have says it's v 1.0.0.0 if I right click and check properties. I notice there's "earlier?" versions listed like 0.1.2.1 for download - but I assume they're inferior?

After all of that is the CLI option my only hope?

Cheers.

I ran into the same issue and was able to resolve it by doing the following.

1. Hold the "shift" key and then "right-click" Absinthe.exe
2. Select "Run as different user" and log in with the local "Administrator" account

My PC was joined to a domain so I had to type .\administrator for the username, then the local administrator password

Hopefully, this helps you out.

Most reactions