What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About to upgrade jail broken iPad to 4.3.2 help

dave3lions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I'm running cydia on 3.2.1 and a few friendly people on here have suggested I upgrade in order to solve a few compatibility issues but I have some questions:

When I upgrade through iTunes it will remove the jailbreak. Correct? Should I un install it myself first as this will be safer and then use redsn0w to re-jail break it?

Cheers

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You won't be able to "upgrade" in iTunes. You must do a "restore" which will put a clean fresh 4.3.2 on there, which you can then jailbreak using redsn0w. You will likely need to do the restore by putting your current device in DFU Mode first as it is already jailbroken (see sticky on DFU mode for details)

But, you can restore a backup of 3.2.1 once this process is complete. When you first connect the restored iPad to iTunes it will ask you if you want to do this.

However, I personally do NOT recommend you do this. Restoring a backup of a 3.x firmware onto a 4.x can sometimes introduce issues. If you are looking for a good clean fresh start on new firmware I would recommend not restoring a backup of your old iPad. You can of course still sync all your apps and media back onto the iPad, it's your settings for the apps that you will lose.

You can see my upgrade procedure in the link in my sig. Again, I don't recommend you follow this for a 3.x to 4.3.2 upgrade because you may run into problems with incompatible Cydia apps between major versions of iOS.
If however you feel confident that you can manage those types of problems, by all means use your own judgement.

Hope that helps, and the upgrade is painless!

Last edited:
OP
D

dave3lions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the clear explanation f4780y. I'll pop it into dfu mode tomorrow and get that copy of 4.3.2 on there then jailbreak it again with redsn0w. As this is all very new to me I'll post back with how I got on. Thanks

OP
D

dave3lions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I put my device in dfu mode and on connecting it to itunes it detected it was in recovery mode. It gave me the option to restore (only option) but on downloading the update 3 times now I get this alert:

"There was a problem downloading the update, the connection timed out. Please check your network settings"

It seems to get to 100% each time. can anyone help?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
D

dave3lions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the the swift response f4780y, is it supposed to be a zip file?

Unrared there is no ipsw file. Grrr...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. Your browser has renamed it to a zip. You don't unrar it. You need to rename it to an ipsw from a zip. Then it will be OK.

OP
D

dave3lions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haha yeah i just figured it out. Feeling rather sheepish !:)

Most reactions

Latest posts