What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A year with an iPad... Should have got a netbook.

kippyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe it's just that 20 years with windows I find it to be too damn difficult to perform almost anything. Maybe it's because every new action I try on this thing requires another "app". Maybe it's the constantly inconsistent and frustrating "copy/paste" functions. Maybe it's the confusing inability to simply look for a folder or directory. And now this morning I'm looking across the room to a windows netbook that easily connected to the wi-fi while my iPad3 can't resolve an dynamic IP address.
I just wish I'd have spent the $600 on a powerful and light netbook instead of following the hype to an iPad. Sure, this thing would be an awesome phone (but it's too big), takes fantastic video and photos (again too big), Skype and facetime are sure nice (could've done that with windows).
Was all set to pull the trigger on a Christas iPad mini for my wife until I heard her yelling "I hate this thing!" I guess I just need to focus on purpose: iPad = Media Consumer, Netbook + Gettinf
stuff done.

I

OP
K

kippyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't even edit my post with this stupid app. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

"Netbook = Getting things done efficiently"

scott_R1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been a windows user and still today. I use my iPad for Internet, buying on line and on line banking. I have print & share pro and quick office which fills the need to read documents and attach files for email. Not sure what you want a tablet to do? I just bought an iPad 4 to replace my clunky-slow iPad 1. I looked at all the others because I was contemplating a switch, but at the end of the day a lot of tablets come close but the iPad is still clearly better than the rest of the field. Maybe down the road this will change but for now their is nothing better.

BTW...you can edit posts

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use the blue arrow above your post and you will see the edit function. Il give you £20 for your crappy iPad though :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe it is just user inflexibility. Or maybe you prefer android. Or maybe you just prefer a laptop.

I've been using PCs since they first came out; before that mainframe computers, but I managed to figure out how to make my iPad do eveverything except run programs not designed for it.

You could have quietly moved on back to your netbook (do they still make those?) Instead of wasting more of your time posting here on an iPad site for decisions YOU made. :)

OP
K

kippyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Maybe it is just user inflexibility.

You could have quietly moved on back to your netbook (do they still make those?) Instead of wasting more of your time posting here on an iPad site for decisions YOU made. :)

Yes, But I've already gained some insight for the replies to this. Did not know what the function of the blue arrow was. Thanks
But.... Why after a year I still am too stupid to figure out simple copy/paste? I'm just asking for some help. Different apps (and maybe web-sites) seems to react differently to the "tap and hold my finger over some text". Many times nothing at all happens, many times it's insist on grabbing entire paragraphs instead of one sentence. This is probably an annoyance that I fac several times an hour on an iPad.
Also, I'm also watching a video this morning the was emailed to me in "3gp" format that downloads & plays fine in the iPad email.... but there's no way to save it for viewing outside a wifi connection. Where did the email program hide it after I waited 3 minutes for the download? Same thing happens with any video on Picasa, can't "save to".

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to look at it from a different angle, although I know it can be annoying it's not a pc so you don't have file explorer and because of that it takes some getting used too. It is a pain having to have compatible apps, and some apps you cannot copy and paste in at all. Copy and paste really only works with raw text but not all of it, depending on where the text is some sites would not let you copy that text regardless of what device you use. Spend some time getting used to using the copy paste cut buttons and it won't bother you so much. If you stop comparing it and looking for negatives you will understand the portability and the features are really helpful and this will help you find more positives.
You will find a few things you cannot do on your iPad but if you are not fussed about losing your warranty then perhaps you should read up on jailbreaking so that you can tweak your device to do what you need.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kippyw,

Oh....it didn't seem like you were asking for help....that's what we are here for....we'd be very happy to help you passed your frustration.....it seemed like you were saying you're just done....

Yeah, the touch and hold will be different, especially on websites.....what may appear to be a single word on a webpage might be a graphic or part of a table, so the touch and hold may not work as expected. Or it will grab more than you want and you will have to resize the selection and I have seen that be hard to do, depending on the website. I usually blame it on the website.

One thing to get straight is that iPad is app-centric, not file-centric, so apps own files. So in the case of that file, the mail app owns it. You can use then "open in" dialog in many cases to move files, but there has to be an app installed that can handle the file. The better idea is to not send videos via email as email wasn't designed for large file transfer. You can use Dropbox, box.net, and a whole host of other cloud storage and sharing tools. Also, an app like GoodReader is very useful as a container for many different types of files. I use it as a general file space. It can view/edit PDFs, play iPad videos, play music, and works with lots of clouds.

I think is best for you to create some new threads to deal with various questions and move away from this one.

OP
K

kippyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Kippyw,

Oh....it didn't seem like you were asking for help....that's what we are here for....we'd be very happy to help you passed your frustration.....it seemed like you were saying you're just done....

Thanks, Yes. In re-reading my own entry now it does seem like I was just complaining. Thanks for the help.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad sidelined my two netbooks. I'm a longtime Windows user and found iPad easy to adapt to, but I didn't look to it to replace my laptop, which I continue to use. Cut and paste, editing and more are best done on my laptop or on work PCs. For me, iPad is for fun, and I love fun, so I have three iPads, lol. I have an Apple BT keyboard, but rarely use it.

I figure diff uses, diff tools. Use what fits best for what you want to do. But that's why it's up to the buyer to understand what he wants to do, and buy accordingly. There's also a return period for iPads at any legit retail outfit, so I don't understand why anyone would keep an item that didn't fit their needs.

RodC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMHO when I got my first iPad I thought it was just another toy. However, once you get used to the device and let it in to your daily life, you practically can't do without. I'm even making my mind whether to purchase an iPad Mini now...

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The absence of a file manager, due to extreme sandboxing, is what keeps your iPad safe from the malware that constantly attacks your PC. Inconvenience is the price of peace of mind. Ditto the lack of Flash.

I started using PCs in 1983 and switched to Mac in 1992, and it took awhile for me to accept the iPad tradeoff, too. When I need to create more than a post like this, I use the iMac on my desk...which has been asleep for the past two days, because all I've done is browse, interact with forums, play some games, and take a few photos. I really like kicking back in my recliner with the iPad on my lap. When I find something I want to share with my wife, I don't need to ask her to come to my office--I just take the iPad to her.

Last summer, we took a 7500-mile driving vacation to Canada with our new wifi-only iPad. It was perfect. I took photos and video, called friends and made motel reservations via VoIP, uploaded photos to Flickr and videos to YT to share with friends every night, used detailed maps of small towns that weren't even in the road atlas, checked the weather ahead, and played music through the car stereo underway. You could do all those things with an iPhone, but I don't have one, and the larger screen is nice for us retired codgers anyway. A netbook would have been overkill...and wouldn't have gone ten hours on a charge.

After we got back, I discovered Pholium, and made a nice book with photos and text about our trip. iPad has to be the best way to share vacation pictures with a friend, and with Pholium I don't need to narrate--captions explain everything. Check it out.

It's just horses for courses, a matter of choosing the right tool for the job.

Last edited:

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't live w o my iPad. Taking it with me on a deserted island lol!!! ;)

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 using Tapatalk HD

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't live w o my iPad. Taking it with me on a deserted island lol!!! ;)

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 using Tapatalk HD

Well you better know how to turn sea shells into either a charger or an outlet otherwise you're screwed!!!

Most reactions