What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A walk with TheRambler

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One of my students walked through the corridor at school in a tiger romper suit just to see what we would do!!

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TheRambler said:
this Sunday is Steel Fell and it's surrounding peaks, cant wait, and know can Pip, my underrated doggie partner!!

I can't wait to see the pics.....I'm a city loving boy but the Lakes and Peaks are just wonderful, I envy you!

The Archangel

OP
TheRambler

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
Well this weeks walk was The Steel Fell Horseshoe, the below picture shows Steel Fell to the right, with the horseshoe working its way round left through Calf Crag, Gibson Knot and finishing at Helm Crag.

IMG-20120311-00020.jpg

it looks quite easy from down here........

IMG-20120311-00026.jpg

and partway up we can look back at Helm Crag where the walk ends

IMG-20120311-00035.jpg

finally made it to the top, this pile of stones is made from walkers who pile a stone up to show they climbed up.

IMG-20120311-00040.jpg

showing the valley below as we kite round towards Calf Crag

IMG-20120311-00042.jpg

feeling proud and not at all tired........honest!!

IMG-20120311-00046.jpg

hard to envisage but the middle of the pic shows the final 2 destinations, at this point I realised this walk was longer than I had first thought.

IMG-20120311-00057.jpg

After passing through Gibson Knot the end is in sight.....Helm Crag

IMG-20120311-00074.jpg

so this is what greets you at the end, just a small climb around the outside......

IMG-20120311-00079.jpg

and finally at the top

IMG-20120311-00082.jpg

the view down to Grasmere, I can't wait to get down to the car.......parked right outside the country pub!!

IMG-20120311-00092.jpg

and as the sun goes down and the mist rolls in we make it to the bottom

IMG-20120311-00094.jpg

hope you enjoyed the pictures, the full set can be found here

http://photobucket.com/albums/ac229/TheRambler_2010/Steel Fell

p.s sorry for the picture quality, I forgot my camera and only had my Blackberry with me

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow. Beautiful countryside. Thank you Rambler

Sent from my fantastically, wonderful iPhone using iPF

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I loved this walk, amazing countryside. I hope you put a rock on the pile. How long was the walk?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome awesome awesome, Rambler!!

This hike looked a bit difficult for Pip. Maybe the next one?

OP
TheRambler

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
I loved this walk, amazing countryside. I hope you put a rock on the pile. How long was the walk?

The walk is only 8.5 miles, but the ascent is 2435ft, its classed as a grade 6 (that's out of 8) because of the high rate it climbs over a short distance, but that means your quickly up there with the beautiful views.

I'm glad your all enjoying these walks as much as I am, it really is great fun up there.

OP
TheRambler

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Just got back off a cracking walk up 'Haystacks', this is the place were Wainwrights ashes are scattered, it was his favourite place in the whole of Lakeland so what better place to spend the afterlife.

Lots of pickies to follow.......but now, I'm off for bath and bed.......I'm shattered!!!!

Last edited:
OP
TheRambler

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
The day started at 6am, bags packed and car loaded we were off up to Lakeland, this time it would be Josephine, Cheryl(my girlfriend) and myself, due to the blazing sunshine we were expecting I left Pip at home, she's a white dog and in such is prone to sunstroke.

As we set off we head for the triangular patch of trees in the foreground, and from there head left and up

CIMG0126.jpg

Looking to our left as we head up we can see High Crag, another walk soon to be covered on here, I want to try and come down the sharp looking edge side

CIMG0130.jpg

Looking back at Buttermere

CIMG0131.jpg

Again to the fore is Buttermere and further back is Crumock Water, as we get higher the sea at Maryport will be visible on the Solway Firth

CIMG0140.jpg

The Solway Firth is just visible on the horizon

CIMG0141.jpg

Cheryl and Josephine taking a spot of lunch at the peak of Haystacks

CIMG0156.jpg

A view of Innominate (without a name) Tarn, this is the final resting place of the late great Alfred Wainwright, his ashes were carried up here by his wife Betty, she was but a mere 70 years old when she did this

CIMG0158.jpg

Strangely enough, the walk down consists of a short walk uphill over another peak to find the path down along the side of High Crag

CIMG0170.jpg

High Crag over the heather

CIMG0172.jpg

Coming down with the fell we have just walked up and along to the left

CIMG0175.jpg

The water making its way down the hill side

CIMG0182.jpg

As we reach the bottom this crucifix (centre of picture) is clearly visible, it is a memorial to a victorian lady called Fanny Mercer who died falling from this hill in 1887

CIMG0186.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the views, more pictures here

Haystacks pictures by TheRambler_2010 - Photobucket

Most reactions